Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone here have experience using/cutting custom front plates for head units? Looking at replacing the XB1A for something more, but reuse all the mounting stuff I currently have since SN95s are pretty tight on space. Any pointers I need to account for when going down this route?

·
Registered
119 Posts
My brother in law just did custom plates for his supercharger setup so I'll ask him if he has any pointers. I also sent you a pm with a question.

·
Registered
5,104 Posts
I've built several blower setups from scratch - though they've all been PD type blowers. A rear support is better than a super-thick front plate, if possible. I usually build in a *little* bit of mis-alignment into my setups - you want the belt alignment perfect under load; when it's not loaded, it's not likely to toss a belt. I don't have a spec for you on that, but it's just barely perceptible - usually, it's tilting the pulley away from the crank (so when the belt pulls on it, it gets "straighter" if that makes sense).

Also, use a spring loaded, damped tensioner on the slack side of the belt. This is pretty much mandatory. If found out the hard way why - I've got $1,000 worth of body damage from throwing a belt (twice) with a manual tensioner on the wrong side. I ended up making my own.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I built all my driver side stuff from scratch. Started with 1/4” wood. U can bolt stuff to it and it held the head unit up fine. Got it close and transferred that over to steel. Like mentioned u have to account for tweaking and moving under load. Got mine dialed in to handle the load then when i let off it would throw the belt. Added a spring loaded tensioner on top of my two manual ones and it seems very happy and very tight now. No more killing belts.

Attachments

·
Registered
313 Posts
I built all my driver side stuff from scratch. Started with 1/4” wood. U can bolt stuff to it and it held the head unit up fine. Got it close and transferred that over to steel. Like mentioned u have to account for tweaking and moving under load. Got mine dialed in to handle the load then when i let off it would throw the belt. Added a spring loaded tensioner on top of my two manual ones and it seems very happy and very tight now. No more killing belts.
Wow!
How drunk were you when you came up with that idea?
That is awesome!

·
Registered
554 Posts
Make a template of the plate you have, make changes to the template that will bolt to what ever blower your going with. If you don't have the tools to cut the new plate look at welding shops that can cut it for you.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts