Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I realize most people go with the custom tune/Chip for maximum power.

Given the fact that Supercharger Companies can't take the risk of supplying a tune that borders the ragged line of maximum power for fear they'll blow more engines than not and get a bad rep. It makes sense to think they purposely tune their chips a lot safer. I'm just wondering how come we don't hear about these out of the box tunes blowing up cars like we do so often about the custom tunes?

Maybe I just missed the posts. Take Vortech for example. They use Superchips and as I understand have switched to using Autologic. You just give them your ECM Code and they ship your kit with the appropriate tune. Might not make much over 350HP but it should be safe right?

Let me know what your thoughts are on this subject..

Thanks

·
Registered
493 Posts
Originally I used the Superchip that was supplied from Vortech and later switched to Steeda's new ECU flash. No chip required. I gained 43 rwhp and 50 rwtq @ 4800 rpm, in addition my torque curve was much higher. Steedas new ECU flash also eliminated some detonation I had.

The ECU flash will run you around $400 and is designed to be used in conjunction with Fords 90mm LMAF and 30lb injectors with a good fuel pump. Steeda also has a dual fuel-pump that delivers more fuel pressure than the 255lph Walbro unit that I previously had in there. It spikes to 60 psi and I see 45 to 50 psi at WOT.

I took it to the track after having it done and I picked up 5 miles/hr on my ET and shaved a half second on my 1/4 mile times. My best run to date is a 12.7 @ 112 with a 2.0 60' time. This was on Nittos DR's with stock uppers and lowers in the rear. I'm not a really good driver yet and I am told the car has the potential to get into the mid 12's.

If you decide to pass on this option, I would recommend getting the car dyno tuned by a person that has experience.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Much thanks for the info GT2KDave! I certainly have high hopes on that Steeda Tuning package. In fact it's where I'm headed.. I only asked about the vortech chip because I wanted to use temporarily while I save up for the Steeda Goods.

I plan on having the car dyno'd with the Vortech Chip just to see what my A/F is.

I assume since no one else replied that those who just stayed with the Vortech Programming are still ripping up the streets to this day.

:barf: Thanks Corral! :D

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
My stock Vortech kit came with a SuperChip that gave 15 degrees total timing and almost a 10-1 AF at WOT. And... made 400 RW. A car could live a long time with that tune, survive bad gas, and all kinds of engine degredation. Power gains above that come from a "custom" tune which has to include more timing and less fuel.

It was also 50 state legal and designed to operate in states with 91-92 octane fuel. Considering what their chips have to accomplish, not knowing the intended use, or location of use, I think they (stock chip providers) do a fantastic job (for the most part...we do hear of some chip "misses").

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
BTW BEFast, if you already have a SuperChip Chip, why not just have it redone for a "ragged edge" (your words) tune. I bet it wouldn't cost much to do that. There are Super Chip dealers around that can do that, maybe in your area.

I am still using the origional SuperChip Chip, redone a bunch of times, now at the 550 RW range.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Ralph.. Actually I'm trying to stay away from the ragged edge.. I don't mind sacrificing some HP in order to run a safer tune. and I agree with you on how Vortech must program these chips a little conservative in oder to compensate for all the differences out there regarding location, access to what octane fuel, etc. I just wanted to hear from people that were actually satisfied with the performance out of the box and find out if any of them had to switch to a custom chip because of problems or something..

I'll be saving for the Steeda Tune Package promptly..

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
If you can get on a dyno, and if you determine your stock chip tune is pretty good (mine was) except for running a little rich, just add a power pipe for a little more boost. That will lean you out a little and add power.

If your A/F is rich, one can get it in line by pulling fuel or just adding air (power pipe and better exhaust). That might get you well into the 11-1 range, which would be fine. MHO

1 - 7 of 7 Posts