Ford Mustang Forums banner

61 - 80 of 105 Posts

Registered
That Victor Jr might work against you for eliminating the bog on the launch.

Get those pressure plate shims. You need to test clutch slippage/hit to keep the engine in the powerband.

馃槑
Ed,

What are your thoughts on the clutch tamer for tuning clutch hit?

Old timer
Ed,

What are your thoughts on the clutch tamer for tuning clutch hit?
Thoughts? The "clutch crutch"?

We tried two versions in the Coyote Stocker and always went quicker without that screen door contraption. Some people we race with live by them but we never saw any improvement so it's just disabled.

Registered
Discussion Starter #63
That Victor Jr might work against you for eliminating the bog on the launch.

Get those pressure plate shims. You need to test clutch slippage/hit to keep the engine in the powerband.

馃槑
Yeah I agree... lack of torque possibly causing more bog but its a test I have talked about doing for about 9 years LOL

I sent Cale an email about the shims. Only problem is I may only get up to NED for 1 more test session before it closes so I'm not sure pulling the clutch is in the time frame. We'll see... Thanks again!

Registered
To me, it sounds like you are still letting off the gas when you shift. It also seems like you are short shifting some gears. Then you have a long run out in 4th. To me, that sounds like you need more cam for higher rpm, wind it out and keep it floored when you shift. A good rev limiter will keep the rpm up between power shifts. letting off the throttle each time just slows you down.
I know you mentioned K&N stub stack, I don't know what that is exactly as I'm as old as the hills, but have you tried an old school 50 year old Velocity stack? Not some new fancy updated version but an old grubby one from the 60's? Those things worked then and still work today.
I think if you cam it for 7000 shifts you'll get into the 11's. You won't be running out of rpm at the traps like you are now. My opinions, others will vary. Good luck and keep us posted.

Registered
If you don鈥檛 mind me asking what we鈥檙e you using on your camera to tell you your times?
Thanks

USAF retired
Interesting. You know what I think I'm going to finally do? With probably only 1 test session left before the track closes for 6 months, I think I'm going to swap the Victor JR on and finally test it out against the Air Gap. I have so much Air Gap data now I should be able to see which is better for my combo.
That would probably be a step backwards, especially with the way the clutch is pulling it down at the hit.

Registered
Discussion Starter #67
If you don鈥檛 mind me asking what we鈥檙e you using on your camera to tell you your times?
Thanks
Its called Dragy. Its pretty accurate too. 60' is off a little but ET and MPH is pretty close.

Registered
Discussion Starter #68
That would probably be a step backwards, especially with the way the clutch is pulling it down at the hit.
Agreed but you know how it is lol. I want to see it for myself and always wanted to test it.

Registered
Discussion Starter #69
To me, it sounds like you are still letting off the gas when you shift.
The last run in that video I let off, why? I dont know. The others I power shifted.

Registered
Discussion Starter #70
Well scratch the Victor JR off the list. Looks like my Viking shocks will be here before the next track session and I want to make 1 change at a time. Would anyone be interested in seeing a slow-mo launch video to give me advice on where to start with the Vikings? I can toss it up on Youtube and link it.

Old timer
Will the tyrants at NED allow someone to video at the starting line?

You need to be up close like this...

Registered
Discussion Starter #72
LOL . The guy who used to scream at me quit this year so recently things have gone smooth. They have a new manager also so...

Here is what I have. Full speed, slow-mo, super slow-mo. I see the axle bounce. I can zoom on my phone so hopefully the Youtube video works for you.

Old timer
The rear shocks need to be tightened. The extension is too violent and it's bounced back. Start there and then add more compression as it settles in.

You also NEED those pressure plate shims. The base pressure must be insane!

Reactions: mikeymac

Registered
Discussion Starter #74
The rear shocks need to be tightened. The extension is too violent and it's bounced back. Start there and then add more compression as it settles in.

You also NEED those pressure plate shims. The base pressure must be insane!
That was with my Calvert shocks set at 9 which is firmest setting they have. I emailed Cale yesterday so hopefully I will get to those but probably not until spring since winter is just about here.

Registered

You need to be up close like this...

Ok Ed give up some details 馃 How much air pressure and whats the rear suspension bar setup on the Cobra? I hope that鈥檚 not to deep into the secrets 馃榿

Registered
With double adjustables it will be more effective when you change each setting, if that makes sense. Tighten the extension keep compression looser and see how it does Hopefully the Vikings come with a tuning guide. I鈥檓 not familiar with them to say how many clicks

Registered
Discussion Starter #78
Ok guys, Vikings showed up, they will go in this weekend. Next weekend will be test and tune. Based on the instructions and having a less than 600HP drag car.... and watching my slow-mo launch. Do I start C-0 and R-4 and go up or start with C-4 and R-10 to tighten them up and work down from there? Thoughts? Thanks!

Old timer
Have you scaled the car?

That'll make a difference.

Reactions: barney65

Registered
Discussion Starter #80 (Edited)
Have you scaled the car?

That'll make a difference.
The 4 corner scales? I haven't. Those things cost way too much lol I just know its 3275 with me in it. Weighed it at NED a bunch this year and confirmed it at LVD. If I did weigh it on 4 corner scales what should I be looking for? I'm trying to schedule a dyno appointment and maybe the shop will have scales I can use.

61 - 80 of 105 Posts