Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What benifits does an aftermarket ignition have other than better fuel economy and the added bonuses or rev limits and those little features? Does it boost HP a noticeable difference at all? I was thinking of going with the Crane Cams HI6S ignition. Are there any other recommendations? I have about 10:1 compression and this is why I was thinking of going with the HI6S.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
I've got the Hi-6 on my car and a buddy has the MSD on his. I honestly an't see any difference between the 2. Both work very well and seem to really help my car. Throttle response is much more crisp and it revs MUCH better. The big advantage I see of the Crane vs. the MSD is the price.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
blackstallion said:
What benifits does an aftermarket ignition have other than better fuel economy and the added bonuses or rev limits and those little features? Does it boost HP a noticeable difference at all? I was thinking of going with the Crane Cams HI6S ignition. Are there any other recommendations? I have about 10:1 compression and this is why I was thinking of going with the HI6S.
Just FYI - there is a big difference between a HI-6 and HI-6S. The HI-6S is comperable to an MSD5 unit.

I'd say apples to apples in the MSD 6 series vs the Crane HI-6.

Check this link out:

MSD to Crane Cross Reference

Shawn

·
Registered
52 Posts
I've got the Jacobs 5.0 GT ingition. I love it! Have a look at it at the Jacobs site. You don't hear about it much and most do not have due to it's cost.

·
Registered
8,406 Posts
I use MSD's Digital-6 ignition. Built in 2 step, single stage timing retard, and start retard.

Worth EVERY penny, and then some.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Black:

I just installed the HI-6S... I was trying to decide between the HI-6 and the S model... According to Crane, if you don't need all the bells and whistles of the 6 and plan on keeping RPM's less than 6,000 then the S will deliver more spark energy than the 6... If you are above 6,000 regularly (racing) then get the 6....

Hope that helps...

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You mean the 6 is acutally better than the 6S??

·
Registered
550 Posts
Hi 6s is not a impressive unit. I had one and sent it right back. It is very small. The thing that got me was the price and it comes with the coil and wire harness. I was not impressed with it at all. I send it back and got a MSD 6al. Some people may like it, but I didn't.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Yup

blackstallion said:
You mean the 6 is acutally better than the 6S??
It's confusing as heck because we are used to how MSD does things, but the 6S is the non-CD unit. The 6 is CD. The HI-6 + LX92 coil is supposed to be the hot ticket.

Shawn

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
I know this is a REALLY OLD thread, but...

I just got the HI-6TRC, is this the best Crane Cams igniton? Can I run the MSD TFI coil with it or should I used the PS91 or 92 crane coil with it?

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
I would do an MSD 6AL.

Why? Digital stuff can take a shiat.

Analog will always work and has been proven time and time again to work and work well.

MSD boxes have been around forevar!!!!

-Rob-
:D

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
Should I even bother to try the Crane since I already have it or just go with a MSD 6BTM? However, I won't be able to retard on nitrous only with a blower with the 6BTM, correct?

·
Formerly BLOWN1989SALEEN
5,755 Posts
Re: Yup

Shawn95GTRag said:
It's confusing as heck because we are used to how MSD does things, but the 6S is the non-CD unit. The 6 is CD. The HI-6 + LX92 coil is supposed to be the hot ticket.

Shawn
your right;) this is the set up i run and it is worlds better than the MSD 6BTM i WAS running. the MSD was junk. the CRANE HI6 is an awesome performer:joy: with the MSD it seemed as if the car was hitting a 5000-5500 rev limiter, wich was actually spark blowout:barf: ..........with the plugs gapped at .035 with the same gap the HI6 pulls cleanly to 6000:D as said earlier dont mess with the HI6S its kinda like a entry level bare bones box WITHOUT capacitive discharge

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
The 6S is an inductive ignition, the 6 is a CD ignition. The CD is noisier (RF) but more "powerful". They are the same multispark [oem voltage output] units under 3000rpms, but over 3000, the 6S goes inductive, where as the 6 goes CD.

I have a Hi-6S (& other goodies :) ) I'm putting up for sale *cheap* this weekend (i.e. as soon as I can dig up the install documents, etc...).

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
I believe that the HI-6TRC ignition setup is a HI-6R box??? What is the difference between the 6 and 6S? What coil should I be running with the HI-6TRC?

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
Ooops... What is the difference between the 6, 6S, and 6R?

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
ttt

Anyone?

·
Registered
366 Posts
i have to go for the 6 al or digital 6 msd, all i have ever used, good reliability, price, i have 6 al and i go past 6000 all the time, JMHO

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Aight I'm gonna resurrect this thread....i'm still looking for an ignition, and just haven't had a chance to pick one up yet. Basically, I don't need all the bells and whistles. I'm never gonna do NOS on this engine/combo....I just need a rev limiter, and a good hot spark. Also, I will not spend any time above 6000 rpm, basically my peak HP is at about 5700. BTW, what is the difference between the ID and CD, and which is better for high/lower rpm....give me the benefits of each, and which systems use which.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts