Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
11,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
266 Posts
Its also not a Mach 1. Its a sport roof car. Pretty similar to a Mach 1. But no.

Jake

·
Registered
360 Posts
Its also not a Mach 1. Its a sport roof car. Pretty similar to a Mach 1. But no.

Jake
Actually, this is a Mach 1 and a factory 390 4-spd car, which is fairly rare, but the royal maroon color is not the reason for the rarity... LOL

The confusion with the sports roof/Mach 1 discussion is specific to the 69 Mach due to the fact that in 1969, the Mach 1 one package was just that, an optional performance and appearance package only available on a sports roof ("02" as the 3rd & 4th characters in the Vin) and with a base engine of a 351W-2V (H-code) & 351W-4v (M-code), 390-4V (S-code), 428-4V CJ (Q-code) or 428-4V SCJ (R-code) optional choices.
The way to verify a Mach is the "63C" code in the doorplate... only a true Mach will have this.
Ford rectified the confusion for the 1970 model year by offering the Mach 1 as its own official model with an "05" as the 3rd & 4th characters in the Vin.

Also of interest is that in photo # 16 of 20 in the CL add a wrap-around reinforcement at the base of the passenger shock tower is shown... this was only done for the big-block cars (and Boss 302s); the small-block cars had braces that did not wrap around.

All of this info is verifiable on the web... any classic mustang site should have it available.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Our classified section is just as ridiculous sometimes. I frequently see people trying to sale bare, unmachined, stock blocks for like 700 bucks.

I picked up a couple for a buddy off Craigslist recently....$75 and $100. Anything over $200 is insanity.

·
11,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Actually, this is a Mach 1 and a factory 390 4-spd car, which is fairly rare, but the royal maroon color is not the reason for the rarity... LOL

The confusion with the sports roof/Mach 1 discussion is specific to the 69 Mach due to the fact that in 1969, the Mach 1 one package was just that, an optional performance and appearance package only available on a sports roof ("02" as the 3rd & 4th characters in the Vin) and with a base engine of a 351W-2V (H-code) & 351W-4v (M-code), 390-4V (S-code), 428-4V CJ (Q-code) or 428-4V SCJ (R-code) optional choices.
The way to verify a Mach is the "63C" code in the doorplate... only a true Mach will have this.
Ford rectified the confusion for the 1970 model year by offering the Mach 1 as its own official model with an "05" as the 3rd & 4th characters in the Vin.

Also of interest is that in photo # 16 of 20 in the CL add a wrap-around reinforcement at the base of the passenger shock tower is shown... this was only done for the big-block cars (and Boss 302s); the small-block cars had braces that did not wrap around.

All of this info is verifiable on the web... any classic mustang site should have it available.
Thanks for the excellent and accurate info.

·
Registered
266 Posts

You went a lot deeper than I did. That's my mistake. Thanks for that. I have had a number of 69's and have a 70 now. I have never seen a factory 69 mach 1 without the C pillar round emblems. I know this car has been robbed of a lot of its cool stuff. But I cannot even see evidence of them ever being there. I would expect to at least see the two mounting points. Have you ever run into a Mach 1 with those not installed factory? Its a small point but its one of the things that got me headed down the Sports Roof road.

Jake

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
This car has clearly been repainted at some point...at least once. Not unimaginable to think the C pillar medallions were "shaved" at some point.

While the car is indeed a rare combination of options, the asking price for the cars current condition is askew.

1969 is the high water mark for Mustang design in my book. Followed closely by the 2005-2009 cars and the '85-'86 cars.

·
Registered
360 Posts
You went a lot deeper than I did. That's my mistake. Thanks for that. I have had a number of 69's and have a 70 now. I have never seen a factory 69 mach 1 without the C pillar round emblems. I know this car has been robbed of a lot of its cool stuff. But I cannot even see evidence of them ever being there. I would expect to at least see the two mounting points. Have you ever run into a Mach 1 with those not installed factory? Its a small point but its one of the things that got me headed down the Sports Roof road.

Jake
Jake,
I have seen sportsroofs with and without the C-pillar medallion, but like you have said, if they were removed it would have been evidenced by the remaining mount holes. I have not been aware of the medallions being Mach 1 specific, I just thought all sportsroofs had them, but I have never researched it either. To Tjm's point, looks like the mach in question was repainted (possibly with a brush...LOL), and it wouldn't surprise me if any mount holes were filled, especially if the medallions were missing or removed.

This piqued my curiosity, so I looked up some old Ford info on the 69 models, see page 5 of the link where it states that sportsroof model, "... is accented by a distinctive Mustang medallion on the "C" pillar."
Ford Media link: https://media.ford.com/content/dam/fordmedia/North%20America/US/2013/11/18/1969_Mustang_Data.pdf

... I learn something new everyday. :)
Marc

·
11,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
1969 is the high water mark for Mustang design in my book. Followed closely by the 2005-2009 cars and the '85-'86 cars.
In my book: the 2018.

(Waiting for the "best mustang" debate... :king: :D )

·
Registered
266 Posts
Jake,
I have seen sportsroofs with and without the C-pillar medallion, but like you have said, if they were removed it would have been evidenced by the remaining mount holes. I have not been aware of the medallions being Mach 1 specific, I just thought all sportsroofs had them, but I have never researched it either. To Tjm's point, looks like the mach in question was repainted (possibly with a brush...LOL), and it wouldn't surprise me if any mount holes were filled, especially if the medallions were missing or removed.

This piqued my curiosity, so I looked up some old Ford info on the 69 models, see page 5 of the link where it states that sportsroof model, "... is accented by a distinctive Mustang medallion on the "C" pillar."
Ford Media link: https://media.ford.com/content/dam/fordmedia/North%20America/US/2013/11/18/1969_Mustang_Data.pdf

... I learn something new everyday. :)
Marc
Marc,

Thank you. You've reminded me to do more reading. Thought I had a pretty good handle on 69-70 cars. But I am not up enough on the details. Thank you for posting all of that.

Jake

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Random mostly useless point of info..... the medallions on the '69 (and maybe, probably, '70 cars too) were actually attached to a pair of studs on the C-pillar.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts