Ford Mustang Forums banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,417 Posts
I am collecting parts for a Coyote swap now, starting and finishing before I have to get a job again on March 6th. I will be installing it into a 2002 ranger SCSB and using a Holley Dominator EFI set up. I will end up building my own headers since nobody makes them and there is no room.

Future plans include turbocharging it after I get a handle on the tuning of the Coyote. Transmission is a built 4r70w with a PTC 9.5" converter (lock up) and a dry shot of nitrous. Hoping to get this truck to run high tens and be real streetable. Only drawback is I have to go to an under dash air system since the air conditioning box is in the engine compartment and hits the motor by 3.5".
https://www.vintageair.com/

They will make a system that will fit just about anything.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
The coyote is a great swap. However it is expensive. As stated above you can build a 4.6 with the supercharger you have and out run the stock coyote. A stock 2v with springs will make 375 to the wheels on 8#. you can daily drive this and run low 12s.

Buy used forged parts and put them in an aviator 4v and you will make close to 475.

·
Registered
9,979 Posts
The coyote is a great swap. However it is expensive. As stated above you can build a 4.6 with the supercharger you have and out run the stock coyote. A stock 2v with springs will make 375 to the wheels on 8#. you can daily drive this and run low 12s.

Buy used forged parts and put them in an aviator 4v and you will make close to 475.
A stock Coyote with a tune will assrape a 375rwhp 2V.

Coyote swap is not as expensive as it was originally, the motor is actually the cheap part with all the F150 motors in wrecked trucks now. The control harness, exhaust and misc parts are more and still won't run you as much as an engine build and a blower.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Prove it. I own both. The 2014 ran a pitiful 13.70. The 2001 ran 12.4. Even the 500# difference won't make up over a 1.3 second difference. Both stock AT and gears. The coyote has a way better trans ratio as well.

·
Registered
9,979 Posts
Stock AT/converter and 3.27s on the 2V? I'll take "things that didn't happen for $800 Alex".

·
11,044 Posts
Stock AT/converter and 3.27s on the 2V? I'll take "things that didn't happen for $800 Alex".
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Does anyone know if the gen3 driver side cat will clear a stock k-member.

(Thanks to all those who mention alternatives, but I am interested in a coyote swap.)

Can anyone recommend a nationwide junkyard source?

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
I bought a coyote off car-parts.com back in 2014. Suffice to say they are much cheaper now.

IMO its not worth it to swap a coyote in to the older stangs it just doesn't make sense the value isn't there.

You can do what one of my shop guys did. He bought a parted out 2012 gt shell for $1500 bare.
Already had a t-boned & totaled 2011 for 6k.

Swapped everything from the 2011 on the 2012 roller. Been driving it for years now with no problems. With less than 8k invested total. You cannot even buy all the little pieces parts for the coyote swap for that price.

·
11,044 Posts
Thanks for the info.
I'll give car-parts.com a gander.

·
11,044 Posts
Update: I spoke to a local Mustang garage owner who loves the 4.6 and won't do coyote swaps. He ballparked $6k to install a stroker kit, freshen the heads, and install IMRC eliminators (illegal). I don't know if a tune is included in this price. So four valves ingesting atmosphere with IMRC elims that everyone assures don't cost low end torque... has anyone seen a dyno chart that proves this?

At any rate, A brand new gen3 is $8.2k, add a $700 accessory bracket, flywheel (I guess), $1.6k control pack, a flywheel, and cats(?).
Do the stock headers mate with the sn95 h-pipe?
What is a good flywheel to use?
Am I overlooking anything?

BTW, since this thread is about coyote swaps, let's please don't try to debate 4.6 vs coyote. It's more appropriate to do that in a thread titled "4.6 vs coyote". Just sayin.

·
Registered
167 Posts
You're missing headers, 4.6 won't work, and h/x pipe. No your pipe won't work. Don't know which transmission you are using, but factory piece won't last long so you will need a built 6 speed. And then you need a flywheel/clutch. If you are dead set on a coyote look for a gen1 f150 swap out the oil pump, intake cams, swap to 2019 gen 3 intake. You will be in for far less than $5k and be around 400hp. Don't forget a cold air intake kit. It's not as cheap as everyone thinks.

·
Registered
113 Posts
4.6l 2v headers re-flanged for coyote heads will work. Port spacing is identical. 4v headers will work too, but look for a little bit more work cause of the oval exhaust ports and header tube entry.

·
11,044 Posts
Thanks, 2vBoss and Lx5.4

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
Thanks for the info.
I'll give car-parts.com a gander.
I've been browsing car-part.com myself recently. Although the '11-14 F150 Coyotes are all supposed to be Gen 1 (and thus would presumably be interchangeable), on car-part they list the '14s separately. So make sure you search for '11-13, and then for '14, to ensure you get all the results. (Assuming, of course, that you're looking for a Gen 1. If not, disregard. :) )

·
Registered
9,979 Posts
Why not just sell your car and buy a clean Gen1 Coyote? They are like $16k nowadays... It would probably be about the same cost to you out of pocket in the end or possibly cheaper...

·
11,044 Posts
Why not just sell your car and buy a clean Gen1 Coyote? They are like $16k nowadays... It would probably be about the same cost to you out of pocket in the end or possibly cheaper...
[email protected] you for being right. :curses:

:D

That's something to really consider. I'd get a real suspension, a safer, more enjoyable car, and something that would already be "finished".
... except for the twin turbos I'd install. j/k

The car isn't transportation, though, it's a hobby. That said, I am keeping an eye on 2018 GTs.

·
Registered
9,979 Posts
Hobby yeah for sure, go with what makes you happy...

The other end of it is there is something to be said about a really clean SN95/Edge car these days. There aren't a lot of really nice ones left... I had a mint 98GT Dark Atlantic Blue with a Cobra Front, Cervini R hood and S281 wing with suspension, exhaust and some other stuff and that ####er legit snapped necks everywhere it went. Then I got a 34k mile New Edge and got orders to Spain. I might as well be driving a Ferrari when I take this thing into a city here lol.

·
11,044 Posts
That's the thing, my 98 cobra vert is nearly, well, I'm going to call it perfect.

I like LMR's swap kit that includes bellhousing & t56. I'd still need a driver side header, accessory bracket for my ps and ac, and then modify the driveshaft.
... and that said, all the boy racers want to "take down" sn95s because they think sn95s only came with the v6.

I'd only be interested in a 2018 and up GT.
Though maybe a 2015 with a blown engine would be a good host for a LMR gen 3 coyote. :)

Current plan: Gen3 with control pack and accessory kit to reuse my 98 accessories. I believe I'll need a driver side header to the tune of $400 from car-parts.com. Since the gen3 cats are in the headers, are the stock h-pipe's cats needed?

21 - 37 of 37 Posts