Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been working on gathering parts for a Coyote swap for the past year or so and have finally dived off into the project now that my wife and I have finished our house and I have a garage to work in again. The car being swapped is a 1990 GT and has been mine since the early 2000's and was my parents car since about 1998. It previously had a mildly built stock block 347 which did well the past 35,000 miles.

This goal of this build is to create a comfortable but fun street car capable of daily driving but also able to run with much faster/expensive cars at the track for the few weekends I make it there each year. It will have AC, power steering, power brakes and a full interior. I also hope to do a light restoration on most of the areas of the car being worked on during this build and will do my best to document the work as I make progress.

Attachments

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The engine is a Gen1 from a 5.0 truck that I picked up locally in trade for a Glock and a couple hundred bucks. It has approx 60k miles according to the seller. I pulled the engine partially apart to install billet oil pump gears, stock Mustang intake cams, Mustang windage tray and a Mustang timing cover (to allow the use of PBH front accessory brackets).

Attachments

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will be using a Maximum Motorsports K-Member, a-arms and coil overs with Bilstein struts that are already on the car. I also already had MM caster/camber plates that will remain on the car. It is also planned to install an 03/04 Cobra reman steering rack to improve steering response and I have already sourced the correct MM hybrid shaft for that as well.

The trans will most likely be a T45 I pulled from a donor car from a few years back. Hopefully it will at least survive a little while until I can afford a T56 Magnum.

Attachments

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The majority of the car has been disassembled now in preparation for some engine bay paint/restoration work and hopefully a little undercarriage cleanup as well. The original 347 and unused parts have or will be sold to help fund this project. I have also already removed the stock dash and heater/ac box. The plan is to install a new evaporator, heater core and blower motor while the dash is out. I also will finally be installing a mint black dash I've been hoarding for the past 10 years. My original dash is broken in so many places it's a miracle it was still even held in the car. This is how the car sits today as I am starting this build thread. Hopefully having this will keep me motivated to stay focused on the project through the next year or so it takes to complete it.

Attachments

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Trying to keep moving forward but havent made a whole lot of progress lately. This undercarriage restoration/engine bay paint stage is going slow since I'm trying to tackle it mostly myself. Halfway done swapping a mint black dash I've been storing for 10 years onto the frame and cleaned up the stock gas tank and put an Aermotive 340 pump and hanger assembly into it. Mostly done grinding the gunk off the bottom of the car in preparation for Eastwood Rust Encapsulator and some Extreme Chassis black paint too. Laying on my back with an angle grinder and wire wheel brush is the dirtiest job I think I've ever done!
20191207_151550.jpg
20191214_153852.jpg
20191214_153829.jpg
20191206_175128.jpg

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Getting closer to ready for undercarriage painting. I discovered where a couple spot welds on the upper control arm mounts have pulled loose and where drivers side trans mount ear pulled loose so all that needs stitched up before repainting. Then I need to get the rear-end pulled apart for paint and install cobra rear disc brackets before I ship the car over to a buddies body shop for engine bay repaint.
20191229_155831.jpg
20191229_155903.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
639 Posts
When I see a restomod getting a modern engine, and MM quality suspension pieces, can't help but thinking a Cobra IRS rear suspension would be icing on the cake. I realize that the IRS may not be in the budget at this point in time, it would be worth keeping an eye out for a suitable core for that project in the future.

Awesome job, that undercarriage looks great. I've done that in the past, I know what a filthy job that is!

Jay

·
Premium Member
4,749 Posts
I've done a few of these swaps, you're doing a great job. I have one swap running and just finishing up all the little details and another that is getting close to start up. One is holley efi, other is control pack. I'll be checking in on your progress. I hope you are painting engine compartment body color, that would look fantastic.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank for the replies, I wish I could do an IRS but you hit the nail on the head, just isnt in the budget right now. I do plan on installing a MM panhard bar though before it's all done. Mustangmichael, I agree, I think body color would be the way to go. I'm going to shoot for that when I get it to the body shop for that phase. Congrats on your builds. I may ask you some questions if I get stuck. I will use a control pack too I think.

Made a little more progress. Got the rear-end out and started prepping it for paint and pulling the axles so I can put on the NorthRaceCar cobra disc brackets.
Before and during:
20200103_143329.jpg

20200104_151142.jpg

I got the radiator support cut out and mocked the tubular support and s550 radiator/fans/condensor. Have a friend who is coming over to help me get that welded up and finish welding the upper control arm seams up and other various repairs that need welded on the floor pan areas.
20200103_170734.jpg

20200104_112245.jpg

20200104_112259.jpg

Also removed most of the factory sound deadened in the front to make sure there was no rust hiding and so I can put down something a little thicker when the interior goes back together. The dry ice method worked really well for anyone looking to do the same.

Finally I got the black dash installed on the frame and cleaned up some melted headlight and blower motor wiring connectors with new pieces from LMR. If I concentrated on one piece of the car I might be done with something instead of halfway through several projects but hey, progress is progress right!
20200105_214257.jpg

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The tubular radiator support is all welded up and everything fits pretty nice so far. Also tacked the upper control arms mounts to the body better while my buddy had the MIG here.

I've got the undercarriage all finished up now, one coat of Eastwood Rust Encapsulator and some light coats of Eastwood Chassis Black. I also applied some new seam sealer before spraying the bottom and resprayed the rear fender wells with 3M rubberized undercoating. I'm proud of the final product, just hope it holds up and doesnt try to peel or anything.

Attachments

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
A couple more of the undercarriage, I'm proud of all the work I did so gotta show it off!

The rear end is all cleaned up and reassembled now with Northracecar cobra disk brackets and turned out nice too. I've got to get the rear-end back under the car and then I can get it off to the body shop for the engine bay. While it's there I'm hoping to assemble the engine/trans/k-member so it's ready when the car gets back.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Had a little bit of a distraction a couple weeks ago with a new addition to the fleet. I've been wanting a newer sports car for a long time and was fortunate to be able to pick up a newer Shelby GT350. It will be an almost daily driver and so far I've been loving every minute of it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Nice work and congrats on the GT350!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts