Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good afternnon everyone,

I'm building a 67 fairlane with a 2013 f-150 coyote. I'm at the pointin the build where i need to come up with a cold air intake solution. When searching the internet, there are a few options. However i want to stay away from a "stock mustang air box" (the ugly black inefficient one).

There are 4" universal aluminum kits which is my top choice at the moment because i don't want the air box under the good, i have room in the fender to build one. My fear with this is tuning. This car is getting a tune but i don't want to build my own custom CAI and it be difficult to tune in the end and be at square 1.

Any thoughts on this? Companies that offer a swap CAI? Tuning advise if i create my own? Thanks for any insight.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Just follow Ford's recommendations from the control pack instructions:

1) Flow Profile: the MAF sensor should be located on a straight section of zip tube where the flow profile is generally uniform. If the sensor cannot be located on a straight section put the sensor on the outside radius of the zip tube so the sensor is located in the higher flow velocity area.
2) Flow Area: Keep the cross sectional area of the MAF sensor tube as close as possible to the cross sectional area of the original induction system.
3) Flow quality: minimize flow direction changes and maintain smooth tubing to minimize air flow disturbances and turbulence.
4) Flow pulsation: install sensor at least 6 to 8 inches upstream of the throttle body.
5) Transient performance: installing the sensor too far upstream of the throttle body (>24 inches) will result in transient lean/rich spikes due to the additional amount of time required for the measured air flow to travel from the MAF sensor to the intake manifold.
6) MAF sensor contamination: A) install sensor in upper half of cross sectional area to minimize possibility of condensation coming in contact with the MAF sensor element. In other words, if a clock is superimposed on a cross section of the zip tube, the sensor should be installed somewhere equal to or above the 9:00 and 3:00 positions. Most OEM applications have the sensor located at the 9:00 or 3:00 location. B) Sensor must be installed downstream of air filter and upstream of blow-by inlet. Ideally, sensor should be located 3 diameters upstream of the blow-by inlet.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts