Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
7,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Bout ready to fire up my bg turbo kit

1) Can the wastegate vacuum line be ran from the intake? I have read people say you shouldnt hook it up to vacuum but compressor doesnt have a port for a vacuum line

2) How hot does a downpipe wrapped get? If my plug wires touch the downpipe that is wrapped will they be okay? Having a hard time getting them not to touch and the taylor line protectors I got wont fit over my wires.

3) Whats the proper way to start a turbo for the first time? Have heard you should hold the fins(not to happy about that idea)

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
No run your line from the waste gate to either the turbo housing (there should be a fitting on it) or any where before the throttle body.

And yeah it will probly burn your wires if they touch the down pipe.

Not sure what you mean by hold the fin's. I just started the car.

·
Registered
7,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I dont have a fitting on the turbo, of course I could drill and tap one but thats a pain.
Why cant the wastegate see vacuum?

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
I dont have a fitting on the turbo, of course I could drill and tap one but thats a pain.
Why cant the wastegate see vacuum?

I would like to know as well !!!

I have mine on the intake and it hass seen vac for over a year with no issues !! back in the day I had a talon that the gate seen vac for many years with no issues.

I cant see nothing wrong with it, as it has worked fine for me for years but IF there is something to it "not seeing vac" I would like to know.

IF you mean hold the fins of the turbo.. I would NOT suggest it!!! unless you dont like your fingers!!

at most pour some oil in through the feed line before you start it/prime it real well, or even unplug coil and roll it over for a min.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Do NOT hold the fins of the turbo, if you sit back and think about it you won't need anyone to explain why this is a BAD idea.

No way to zip tie the plug wires away from the headers or downpipe? Mine run under the header along the head and then up to the distributor - is this an option for you?

I too just started my car, no issues.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
I would like to know as well !!!

I have mine on the intake and it hass seen vac for over a year with no issues !! back in the day I had a talon that the gate seen vac for many years with no issues.

I cant see nothing wrong with it, as it has worked fine for me for years but IF there is something to it "not seeing vac" I would like to know.

IF you mean hold the fins of the turbo.. I would NOT suggest it!!! unless you dont like your fingers!!

at most pour some oil in through the feed line before you start it/prime it real well, or even unplug coil and roll it over for a min.
Your thinking of your blow off valve. Even Tial says to do it that way.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
I actually switched my wastegate source from the turbo compressor to the intake because the psi would drop from 6 psi to 4 psi because while the turbo compressor was at a true 6 psi by time it got to the motor past the intercooler the boost would drop. Once I used the manifold as a source I got a steady 6 psi through the entire pull.

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
Your thinking of your blow off valve. Even Tial says to do it that way.
no Im not lol

both bov and wg are off the intake on mine.... I guess I should check to make sure the diaphragm is not torn and put a check valve in that line so it wont see any vac... Thats the first I have ever herd of it being a issue. Turbonetics didnt mention it.. guess now I know.

·
Registered
7,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I dont have a good way to get the wires off the downpipe, not sure how I could do it.

As far as holding the turbo thats what I thought, I mean common sense told me that but my buddy insisted.

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
I dont have a good way to get the wires off the downpipe, not sure how I could do it.

As far as holding the turbo thats what I thought, I mean common sense told me that but my buddy insisted.

tell him to hold it and you will start the car. LMFAO.

bc.... thanks for the heads up and the diagram, Im going to fix that tomorrow.

·
Registered
7,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
you can get heat covers from summit.
Like I said, I have heat covers but they wont fit over my wires. They have a ring in them which is just big enough for the wire itself, nevertheless the boot and all

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
There are MANY people that have ran their wastegate lines to the manifold as reference for years without issues. The reason to reference it off the manifold is that the wastegate will be held shut until the manifold sees the appropriate boost levels, not the turbo's. Remember there will be a pressure drop across the system. Of course, when you allow the wastegate diaphragm to see pressure as well as boost, you allow it to deflect in two directions rather than one. This can cause the diaphragm to fatigue sooner than otherwise designed. Of course, many have ran them that way for years with no failure. Ultimately, it's up to you to decide if the benefits (quicker spool, more accurate boost per wastegate setting) outweigh the extra wear and tear.

As for the plug wires, route them in such a way where they make as little contact as possible with the headers/downpipe. This may mean you route some (or all) under the headers rather than over....and of course will mean you need to cut your own from a universal kit. This is how I've done mine with my twin setup, and not only does it look clean....I have yet to burn up a wire since re-routing them.

·
Registered
7,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well I took off my compressor housing, I am going to drill and tap it.
I just doubled up on the heatshields for the plug wires, dont really wanna spend more money on plug wires.

·
Registered
7,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
will do, charger for my camera is at work

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
It's been years ago, but I remember my Cartech kit came with a check valve to use between the intake and wg. If it wasn't for that, what else would it have been for? I'm too young for my memory to feel this old hehe.

Millhouse, how do you get quicker spool going with the intake method?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts