Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
4,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well while removing the headliner I saw how easy the quarter windows removed to I am going to get them remanufactured with new butyl rubber (?).

Always hated the nasty cracked seals outside these windows. Can you say “Sandpaper finish?” Lol. Horrible eyesore.

www.foxresto.com

I’ll post pics of their condition upon their return.

Attachments

Reactions: 5.0carlo

·
Registered
4,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I dropped off the windows to Matt (owner) at Fox Mustang Restoration. I was very impressed with his attention to detail on my coupe windows. He was impressed with their very good condition and few scratches on the glass. He did talk me into the added glass polishing service to remove the light scratches and water marks but it also comes with the installation materials and fresh nuts to bolt them in.

5-6 week ETA currently but this isn’t my daily driver so no biggie here. Sure will be awesome getting them installed and looking new.

The OEM rubber looked pretty bad honestly. I’ll be so glad when that eyesore is gone.

·
Registered
4,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There were a few in his shop. I’d call and ask if you are curious.

Reactions: TomV

·
Registered
4,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Has anyone asked why he's not doing Hatch windows?
Likely because he can't refinish them as cheaply as they can be replaced, or there just isn't enough room/profit there for him to be interested.
Am I correct that the aftermarket ones don’t say MUSTANG? If so he could charge a premium if think to remake OEM ones that came in ones car.

Reactions: Tom.S760

·
Registered
8,667 Posts
looks like Daniel Carpnter is about to release repro Coupe windows complete with licensed logo. Wonder how much these will run

Attachments

·
Registered
40 Posts
Am I correct that the aftermarket ones don’t say MUSTANG? If so he could charge a premium if think to remake OEM ones that came in ones car.
I don't think the aftermarket replacements currently have the logo, but I don't know that many people would be willing to pay the extra for the licensing Ford would ask for.

For example, think about almost anything that is made in America vs. China. History says that, people will pay the lower price for the lesser product and live with it. Same would likely apply here.

Of course this is just my opinion and purely speculation of their reasoning.

·
Registered
4,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Those look nice. I hope my OEM ones come back sooner than 5 weeks. Already want her back in the road!

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
I dropped off the windows to Matt (owner) at Fox Mustang Restoration. I was very impressed with his attention to detail on my coupe windows. He was impressed with their very good condition and few scratches on the glass. He did talk me into the added glass polishing service to remove the light scratches and water marks but it also comes with the installation materials and fresh nuts to bolt them in.

5-6 week ETA currently but this isn’t my daily driver so no biggie here. Sure will be awesome getting them installed and looking new.

The OEM rubber looked pretty bad honestly. I’ll be so glad when that eyesore is gone.

What is it they do to restore the exterior rubber material? I ask because my 91 and 92 Lincoln quarter glass has some typical rubber age showing.

·
Registered
559 Posts
What is it they do to restore the exterior rubber material? I ask because my 91 and 92 Lincoln quarter glass has some typical rubber age showing.
They actually remove and install new rubber. Pretty sure it's a fox coupe quarter specific process.

·
Registered
4,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Took the words out of my mouth.

I’d suspect he has molds made up for the coupe. He may be working on hatch window molds as I saw one in the shop, not sure. Perhaps not as those are available aftermarket. He may not branch out as his business model is Fox only.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Leadsled I just noticed you're in the tri-cities area. I'm in Kingsport right now working at Eastman.

·
Registered
4,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
We will have to meet up sometime, especially when I have my car back on the road. I work in Midway and live in Greeneville. Been here for 15+ years now. Love it!

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
They actually remove and install new rubber. Pretty sure it's a fox coupe quarter specific process.

Thanks, I figured refinishing existing rubber would be an odd procedure. I bought new quarter glass for my Explorer when it was available, because of the rubber drying out etc.

·
Registered
4,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I called for an update and it looks like it’ll be another two weeks. Right in line with what he told me when I dropped them off.

·
Registered
4,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Headliner back in redone. Slowly but surely.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Fox Resto tells me my windows are done and are headed home. I’ll post pictures as soon as I get the box open. I am excited to get the coupe back on the road.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts