Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was just wonder if anyone has used the heads on there LQ4 with say just a cam swap and it made any decent power ?

·
Registered
554 Posts
v62go is running 317 heads on his car. He's gone 6.90s in the old setup i believe. he runs a tick performance polluter cam. you do have to fly cut the pistons though he said. The 317 heads are the same as the 243 heads (ls6) but they have larger chambers. You can mill them to bump compression a bit but you have to make sure you have the piston to valve clearance. I was going to use them on my build but I found them trashed when I pulled the motor apart. I am going with PRC Stage 1 LS6 heads on mine.

·
Formerly LSNotch
840 Posts
v62go is running 317 heads on his car. He's gone 6.90s in the old setup i believe. he runs a tick performance polluter cam. you do have to fly cut the pistons though he said. The 317 heads are the same as the 243 heads (ls6) but they have larger chambers. You can mill them to bump compression a bit but you have to make sure you have the piston to valve clearance. I was going to use them on my build but I found them trashed when I pulled the motor apart. I am going with PRC Stage 1 LS6 heads on mine.
That was on a 85 Buick Regal that weights 3200. I'm not sure on the 317 heads because in his thread over at LS1Tech he sais 799(LS2) heads:confused:

But to answer the question about power...yes! you can make very good power with those heads. I've read about some folks who are using the 317's and making great power. Like RyClef said mill those heads with a thin gasket...voila and if you are efficient with a grinder clean the ports some.

·
Registered
404 Posts
yeh i have 799 heads but they dont flow anybetter than the 317's only reason i switched to the 799's was for compression because the 317 heads have 72 cc and my motor has dished pistons....the 317's on a lq4 is perfect for force inducted application....i thought about going the turbo route at first when i got my lq4...theres a guy around raleigh that has one that has been in the high 5's @ almost a 120 mph with this setup with a stock zo6 cam.....you can also use the stock non egr 6.0 manifolds just have to them up side down and make some plumbing.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts