Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting the vette itch again. If anyone's interested in my stang look HERE!

·
Registered
506 Posts
Take two aspirins, Sandy, and you'll feel better in the morning!

Seriously, at least for autocross, why bother? You haven't lost to a Corvette all year, so you'd have no competition. Plus, we need all the black Mustangs we can get. ;)

·
Registered
850 Posts
Too easy, continue to exert the effort to clean up in that Stang. The pain and wallet drain make you stronger. Former 1996 Vette owner driving a Foxbody now.

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
I co-drove with a guy that used to run an ASP(ehhh, more just SS)Vette today in my Mustang. Back when I co-drove with him in HIS car, I was .03 off of his time. He was appx 4 seconds slower in my Mustang than me today. ;)

He's not used to less power, more weight, worse suspension, less tires as I am. ;)

·
Super Moderator
27,657 Posts
I drove a base C6 corvette in semi-anger on Heartland Parks' road course last week. It wasn't my car to ball up so I wasn't driving it too hard, but I was shocked. Shocked, because it was so much like driving a mustang, shocked because it rolled like a boat, shocked because the rear traction sucked, shocked because it didn't feel anywhere near as powerful as they're supposed to be. Basically I was unimpressed. If I were in the market for a vette I wouldn't do anything less than a Z06.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I took a second look and this is closer to being a done deal. I might keep the mustang anyway, just not sure. Might just use the vette as a go to work car and keep running the mustang.

The car I'm getting is a one owner 2003 Z06, with 41K on the clock. It's going to take some getting used to. It's a softer ride and different feel all together. My stang is pretty harsh in comparison but it feels more like a racecar than this Z06, at least that's my first impressions.

I think all car guys get this itch at some point. Mine just turned into a rash so I better scratch it.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I co-drove with a guy that used to run an ASP(ehhh, more just SS)Vette today in my Mustang. Back when I co-drove with him in HIS car, I was .03 off of his time. He was appx 4 seconds slower in my Mustang than me today. ;)

He's not used to less power, more weight, worse suspension, less tires as I am. ;)
That's because your setup is all wrong!:angel:

·
Registered
131 Posts
I would highly recommend buying that Z06. Z06 hands down!!! I traded in my 2003 Mach 1 Azure blue for an 01 Z06. Now I would have bought an 06-07 Z06 if my credit was in better shape. Hopefully in a few years I will switch.

·
Registered
506 Posts
A guy who races with Sandy and me (Jose) got a Z06 after autocrossing a Mustang for a while ... after his first outing, he smiled and said, "Wow! It really IS possible to have too much horsepower!"

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
A guy who races with Sandy and me (Jose) got a Z06 after autocrossing a Mustang for a while ... after his first outing, he smiled and said, "Wow! It really IS possible to have too much horsepower!"
And he hasn't brought that vette out lately either.

Well here it is, sittin in my yard.

more pics: http://s325.photobucket.com/albums/k395/roadracingmustang/Z06/

Daughter says I can't post these pics under the user name roadracingmustang. LOL

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
I've "heard" from friends that the frikkin' Vette is CHEAPER than Mustang insurance(given something like a Cobra/Mach1/SVT version).

·
Registered
377 Posts

·
Registered
567 Posts
"Wow! It really IS possible to have too much horsepower!"
I used to think the same thing. I found that with almost 500RWHP, when you can get it planted, its not TOO much. After I had my car tuned in June, we had our first night autocross. After not racing but 1 event earlier in the year, I brought out the race tires (Hoosier R6's) and finished FTD out of nearly 80 cars. We have some national contenders that run our events too. Without the power, you cant get moving. Its only TOO much power if you dont know how to use it! :salute:

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
I've seen some roots supercharged Vipers spin/slide LESS than some Honda's....and the Viper went faster. It's all in how educated that right foot is.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Mark, what have you started? :)

Guys, don't take things out of context. It's a quote based on an initial impression, and made in the spirit of fun. I wasn't being serious, and was just a moment of revelation that horsepower can be a hindrance if it can't be planted. It really isn't hard to plant a Z06's power, but it requires a good setup. I would actually like more power now and might do so later this year to get the car more to spec for ASP.

·
Registered
683 Posts
I've "heard" from friends that the frikkin' Vette is CHEAPER than Mustang insurance(given something like a Cobra/Mach1/SVT version).
Risk pool is different. Lots of young yahoos driving mustangs whereas lots of old fogeys driving vettes.

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Yea, but that "Corvette tax" is pretty killer for body parts to the "buy here pay here" lots of Mustangs. ;)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts