Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am installing a coilover setup on my 98 Cobra and I need some guidance or recommendations.
The car is used 95% for track events.

Can anyone tell me if there are standard specs. for corner weighting and ride height?

Rob

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did the same rates. I am also doing MM lower control arms on front and back. Already have the PHB and TA.
When are you doing another track event?

·
Registered
850 Posts
Corner weights - try to get diagonal weights even.

Ride height - don't go any lower than whatever ride height makes the front and rear lca's parallel to the ground.

Search here on ride height, lots of info. Corner weights - search corner-carvers.com

·
Registered
705 Posts
Not sure on the next event yet, havent heard of any coming up this year.
I just installed phb and the coilovers with the race valved bilstiens.
I had the ride hieght at 26" from top of fender to ground all the way around, with stock kmember it seemed to low. I raised it to 26.5 all the way around it seems to ride better and have more suspension travel and grip.
From the rear mounts on the kmember to chassis mount measured 8" at 26" fender hieght and 8 1/4" at 26.5"

Are you getting the lightweight rear lowers or standard mm lowers?
Are you running your quad shocks, i just removed mine.
Do you have a lot of oversteer?
With no torque arm i had to remove my rear sway bar to get it more nuetral.

Jay

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Jay,
Thanks for the specs, I will start with yours.
I got the standard LCA - drag race style. They have spherical bearings at both ends. When I installed the TA I did not change the spring rate in the rear (big mistake). I am getting EXTREME understeer. We just did the Fall fling at VIR this past weekend and I was in the grass exiting T1 a few times, so I bought the coilover setup the next day. Hopefully I will have it all installed and tuned before our next event at VIR Nov 11, 12, & 13. It is with the PCA and I am running in the Black group with the Turbos and Cup cars. There are only 8 non Porches out of 200 cars and I have the only Mustang. Have to make a good showing.
I removed the quads when I installed the TA.
Rob

·
Registered
110 Posts
If you are in the SouthEast area and are looking for a good opportunity to corner weight your car, try going to Roebling Road for one of the Seattime events. There are scales in the Tech shed and you can test your setup real time.

I think they've got one coming up on November 18. It won't help you for your upcoming event at VIR but still it's a good deal. You get a minimum of 6 20 minute sessions over the course of the day so you can set your corner weights go out and test it. Bring it back in, tweak it on the scales and test again. Seattime is the best kept secret in open tracking IMHO.

Sounds like an advertisement I know but I'm not associated with them in any way. It's just that I'm usually the only Mustang there and it would be nice to see some more out there.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That sounds like a sweet deal, I will try and make it. I raced my motorcycle at Roebling Road in the mid 90's but never had my car there. Does it still eat up tires?

·
Registered
705 Posts
Thanks for the info Rob.

One thing i have wondered with the coilovers i wonder if it would be smart to raise front higher than the rear to make the weight distribution better not so much as corner wieghting but to make the car more balanced front to rear?

Any info on that?
Thanks
Jay

·
Registered
850 Posts
jaysch302 said:
One thing i have wondered with the coilovers i wonder if it would be smart to raise front higher than the rear to make the weight distribution better not so much as corner wieghting but to make the car more balanced front to rear?
Sadly, the laws of physics preclude this. It will help your front roll center, though. :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts