Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone ever fill a block completely and tap the heads and use an electric water pump to circulate water just through the heads? did you use a cooling tank or radiator? or just flush and cool between rounds?

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Don't guys fill the block to the bottom of the core plugs and let the upper part and top end keep getting coolant?

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Don't guys fill the block to the bottom of the core plugs and let the upper part and top end keep getting coolant?
they do.. but i've got one that i want to fill all the way... and just cool the heads... either that or i'm gonna fill the heads also.. 351.. planning lots of BOOST.. probably methanol so cooling isnt that big of a deal.. just thinking if i had to drive it for 2-3 miles. street type racing..

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
This is on import (4G63) motors, but when I concrete a block,, they'll pop a freeze plug on the (aluminum) head and run a line (-16, I believe) directly to it. Usually a solid copper head gasket that has been made specifically for a dry-decked block (coolant cut-outs have been deleted). IIRC the thermostat is on the back of the head, so that acts as the exit.

So yeah, you'd need to figure out where's a good spot to have both an inlet and outlet for the water.

Also, don't fill the heads, especially if it's going to be running for more than 30-45 seconds. Things will start warping.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is on import (4G63) motors, but when I concrete a block,, they'll pop a freeze plug on the (aluminum) head and run a line (-16, I believe) directly to it. Usually a solid copper head gasket that has been made specifically for a dry-decked block (coolant cut-outs have been deleted). IIRC the thermostat is on the back of the head, so that acts as the exit.

So yeah, you'd need to figure out where's a good spot to have both an inlet and outlet for the water.

Also, don't fill the heads, especially if it's going to be running for more than 30-45 seconds. Things will start warping.
i got a price on welding up the bottom of the head and surfacing back flat.. i would then need to decide to run dry.. or put some water in there and circulate through a tank... or radiator of some sort.. got 2 things in mind actually.. at most the car would have to be driven 3-4 miles.. and on that trip it includes and 1/8th mile blast .. shutdown.. turn around.. and then back to starting line or local gas station.. (car will not use gas.. just a meet up point.. car will be on alky)

·
Premium Member
2,527 Posts
My friend had his block filled and then drilled/tapped the rear of the cylinder heads to flow water from a tank in the rear of the car to the rear of the heads, then out through the front and back to the tank (3 gallon) in the rear of the car. Using Methanol as a fuel allows for this set up because it burns so much cooler.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts