Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
set-up is in my sig....what would you guys recommend as far as water pump...i want to drive it occasionally on the street and dont want to run into any cooling issues. i can put a PRO-COMP electrical water-pump on it but dont know the reliability of the pump...

any ideas???????

·
Premium Member
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
3,165 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
460capri.......what r u running the pump on?

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
460capri.......what r u running the pump on?
I just have a little 306 with 300wrhp and a 150 shot right now but I am buying and building for the near future a stroker 351 to a 427 with a 250 shot and the car is and will be street driven .

·
Premium Member
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
what esle would make the car run hot??? i havent touched timing or carb.......

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Run as much intial timing as you can.With a MSD dist. I think its the black bushing which gives you the least timing on the dist.(more initial)) then bring in the rest of the timing(centrifugal) quick with some of the lighter springs.This helped my car run cooler.Also,I have a fan controller which worked out nice with a Taurus fan.Good luck.

·
Premium Member
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ok....didnt think about that with the distributor...took it out of the box, dropped it in and called it a day...i know it came with different springs..but didnt pay them too much mind

·
Premium Member
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
ok....just added black bushing and blue springs...noticable difference....but only idled car for about 30 minutes....

what size rad are you or did you use???? mine is only about 27", 2 core...might go bigger

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
mine is only about 27", 2 core...might go bigger
27" core or total length of radiator . I am using a radiator with a 26" core 31" total and 2 1" cores and it is aluminum .

·
Premium Member
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
27" total length... aluminum

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Some things to think about/try

Sealing the fan shroud(assuming your using an electric fan) to the radiator helps,running straight water with water wetter,running an air deflector under the bumper,maybe a dual fan setup('96 Contour) like described in one of the latest Mustang mags.

·
Premium Member
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i am looking at both right now...lincoln/taurus fan and the dual fan set-up for contours...which would you guys recomend?

my fan is only a 16" spal fan, so the rad is open everywhere except where my fan mounts to it.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
The Contour fan sounds like the one to go to(although about $100 at wrecking yards vs. $30 for a Taurus fan).According to the article the shroud covers almost the entire radiator while the Taurus only covers about 2/3rds.Also its got 2 fans with more total cfm.But the Taurus has my 408 running 170's on 95 degree days so the Contour fan may not always be needed.

·
Premium Member
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
the contour fan measures: 30 1/2x 4 1/2x 17.1/2 so its a little too big...so im going with the lincoln/taurus fan and see how that works

what fan controller did you use?

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
The Flex-a-lite high current one.I think it's about $90 at Jeg's.Don't buy the standard model as these fan have very high startup current.It works great as it has a slow start/stop feature,runs for 30 seconds after shutoff and will hold a temp. setpoint.Also,there's a manual start feature which is good with an electric pump for cooling down in the staging lanes.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts