Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I finally got my transmission valve body issue straightened out, and I took the car out for a quick romp yesterday afternoon. This gave me the time to realize that I have a cooling issue to address now as well. The car will not cool down, regardless of moving or sitting. Here's a rundown of the combo:

306ci, stock block, crank, .030 hyper pistons
GT40P heads, light bowl work
Stock intake/tb - EGR delete spacer
1.6 Roller Rockers
FRPP X303 camshaft
twin .50 trim turbos
72lb siemens injectors
Aeromotive rails

Electronics:
Stock TFI distributor w/MSD cap/rotor
MSD 6A Ignition box
MSD Blaster 2 coil
Megasquirt II
PLX SM-AFR Wideband

Cooling system:
CSR electric pump
Stock radiator
electric fan
large FMIC (2 in, 1 out)
oil cooler
trans cooler

I first noticed that after warming it up (190 or so), I could turn the car off, and there would be 0 pressure on the radiator cap. I assumed it was a faulty cap and that was causing the issue, so I went and bought another cap. I have not rechecked the pressure by pulling the cap, but the upper radiator hose doesn't feel any more firm than before. I've verified that I installed the head gaskets correctly, and I've bled the system. An air bubble is still a possibility, but I doubt it. Also, I know I have a lot of crap to have in front of a radiator, but I couldn't find anywhere else to mount the coolers. So I have a couple of options here to try to help the thing out:

1) Find new mounting spots for the oil/trans coolers (don't have a clue where)
2) Upgrade to an Aluminum radiator and a taurus fan setup.

Any other suggestions/ideas? Also, any idea on why I'm not building pressure in the cooling system?

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
..and the plot thickens!

Pressure tested the cooling system. Pumped it up with a tester, then let it sit for 20 minutes. System still had pressure when I came back to it. I can't test the cap to see where it opens at because the pressure gauge on the tester is bad. I know it's not holding much, one pump seems to open it up. I'm wondering if my brand new radiator cap is bad.

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
make sure you did not put T-stat in backwards.

I did that once and it caused all kinds of strange cooling and system pressure quirks.
Took forever to figure it out.

New cap may be bad. Shyt happens

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
make sure you did not put T-stat in backwards.

I did that once and it caused all kinds of strange cooling and system pressure quirks.
Took forever to figure it out.

New cap may be bad. Shyt happens
I made sure when I put it together I didn't put the t-stat in backwards lol - I should've mentioned that I guess. When I get home, I'm going to plug the puke tank line and see if it builds pressure then. If it does, then I know the issue is the cap. If not, then I'll pull and triple check the t-stat haha.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Anyone got any ideas/pictures of oil & trans cooler mounting points? I've got them both in front of the radiator right now ; I'd like to move them out of the way but I'm stumped as to where to put them where they'll get any airflow.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Stock radiator is killing you... Mine would cool fine sitting but would get hot driving Put an aluminum radiator in and ill know soon if that fixed it

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
What elec fan are you running? What alt are you running?

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
3G alt
TO be honest, I don't know what brand the fan is ; I used it on another car years ago. I'd guess it's an autozone special. I solved the pressure issue with another new radiator cap, but I'm gonna put a new radiator anyway, and probably get a mark VIII fan setup.

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
I would say your fan is the biggest problem right now.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts