Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been having a cooling issue for a very long time on the stang. I removed the t-stat completly, since its drag only.

Right now this is the setup. Fluidyne radiator shortened 3" and slanted, 2 10" 1500cfm fans,
high flow water pump, with underdrive pulley, aluminum tubing as connection.

It heats up relatively fast, like 10 min,with the fans on. temps just continues to go up and does not stabilize. It makes it hard to tune because everything has to be done quickly.

Any ideas are appreciated. Only thing I can think of is an electric water pump 55gpm.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
I have been having a cooling issue for a very long time on the stang. I removed the t-stat completly, since its drag only.

Right now this is the setup. Fluidyne radiator shortened 3" and slanted, 2 10" 1500cfm fans,
high flow water pump, with underdrive pulley, aluminum tubing as connection.

It heats up relatively fast, like 10 min,with the fans on. temps just continues to go up and does not stabilize. It makes it hard to tune because everything has to be done quickly.

Any ideas are appreciated. Only thing I can think of is an electric water pump 55gpm.
Whose fans? How much tilt on the radiator? Is the top of the radiator below the manifold?

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Don't remember the name of the fans. The radiator is maybe 15-20* from upright. Its below the intake manifold. I guess I should post of a pic of the pipe routing for more help.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Don't remember the name of the fans. The radiator is maybe 15-20* from upright. Its below the intake manifold. I guess I should post of a pic of the pipe routing for more help.
That angle is not too big of a deal.

Three things.

First, it is possible you have an air pocket in the system. This can happen when the fill neck is lower than the manifold. You might want to look into an inline filler like the one by moroso.

Second, typically you don't want to remove the thermostat completely. At the very least, you want a restrictor in the system to prevent the water from running through the system too fast and not giving the radiator a chance to do its job.

Third, all fans are definitely not created equal. One company's claimed cfm flow might not be anything close to what the fans truly flow. I always recommend using spal fans. Is there any shroud on the fans? Is the system sealed at all?

·
Registered
21,771 Posts
GPM helps heat exchnage, not being in the rad long enough is dead wrong, GPM is part of the equation to calculating BTU gain.

My guess is its your fans not pulling enough CFM. You probably have a thick rad that imposes a large restriction on the FAns you have.

Nothing pulls like a MarkVIII on hi speed, and I mean nothing.... 4500CFM.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

This is when I was making the setup. The fans are not in the picture, however imagine 2 10" fans attached to the front of the radiator, no shroud.

On this one imagine an aluminum tube coming from the lower water pump it then does an inverted "U" and at the peak of the "U" is my filler neck, then it continues to the radiator.

The one from the water neck goes is similar to stock however has a longer drop then goes to radiator.

·
Registered
220 Posts
that thing looks sick. have u made sure there isnt air in the system? headgaskets arent on wrong?

·
Registered
460 Posts
I agree. 3000cfm Isn't enough. I have had the same issues and tried (wasted money) on different fans. I ended up with a 4500cfm used fan and it keeps under control. Not cold but under control.

Also, with having turbos it gets hot (I am sure you know that). I have a single t70 and I have everything wrapped, even radiator hoses are wrapped with reflective heat wrap. I can't imagine having 2 on a race car.

If you have heard of the fastest car (production car) in the world, the Bugatti Veyron, has 4 turbos. The thing has 10 yes 10 radiators to keep cool.

Get the airflow going...heck put 2 pullers and 2 pushers.

BTW, how hot does your trany fuid get?

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
The motor was built at a machine shop, so there is no way for me to know if the head gaskets are installed wrong. The engine has less than 10 miles on it. It has never smoked

The tranny fluid at idle barely even notices heat. Can't tell you about driving because I haven't done much of that. I have a tranny cooler with a fan.

Before this setup I had the turbos in a different location were the radiator was in stock location with stock fan and the temp would still slowly creep up. Maybe the underdrive pulleys are killing me. I can't fit anything smaller because the belt will not make contact with a smaller pulley at the water pump.

This is my biggest, most on going and last issue on the car.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Dude, I have searched this on multiple forums. Unless you have alot of air in your cooling system your main problem is heat dissipation.

two 10" 1500cfm fans aren't enough (how sure are you they are blowing 1500cfm?). You can probably put the biggest radiator on there with highest flowing pump you would just be moving the heat from point a to point b faster.

·
Registered
21,771 Posts
having a thick rad also lowers the cfm the fan can draw, most fans are rated without a restriction, and perform poorly when you put a rad in front of them.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Dude, I have searched this on multiple forums. Unless you have alot of air in your cooling system your main problem is heat dissipation.

two 10" 1500cfm fans aren't enough (how sure are you they are blowing 1500cfm?). You can probably put the biggest radiator on there with highest flowing pump you would just be moving the heat from point a to point b faster.
I am unsure how cfm its currently pulling. If the problem is heat dissipation, why was this still occuring with the fluidyne in the stock upright position with the stock fan on high all the time?

It would be close to impossible to fit a fan size bigger than 10". Its a very tight fit with bumper. What brand fans will give me cfm that I need? How do the drag radial,sso and pro 10.5 guys cool down?

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
I am unsure how cfm its currently pulling. If the problem is heat dissipation, why was this still occuring with the fluidyne in the stock upright position with the stock fan on high all the time?

It would be close to impossible to fit a fan size bigger than 10". Its a very tight fit with bumper. What brand fans will give me cfm that I need? How do the drag radial,sso and pro 10.5 guys cool down?
I use Spal fans. www.spalusa.com

As was said earlier, the cfm ratings are not always what are claimed. If posted with no restriction, the numbers are waaaay higher than with a thick radiator in front/behind them. Most companies will also tell you that a pusher will be less efficient than a puller. On my setup I actually run the dual 11" puller combined with a 16" pusher on the front. My radiator is mounted at a pretty hefty angle and it still works. It is a much bigger radiator than what you are using, but I do a lot of street driving. Also, it would not be possible to mount one the way I did with where the turbos are.

The race guys are going to use electric pumps that will allow them to circulate fluid with the motor off between rounds. Some guys plumb in a stand alone cooler that they hook up between rounds as well.

Personally I would switch to a meziere electric. I've used one forever, even back to the days where the car was a daily driver and they work great.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I am definitely thinking of Meziere. I really just need cooling between rounds, not for street.
The fans are hooked up for pulling.

Where can I find a restrictor for the system?

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
I am definitely thinking of Meziere. I really just need cooling between rounds, not for street.
The fans are hooked up for pulling.

Where can I find a restrictor for the system?
For some reason I was thinking they were pushers.

An electric pump works awesome for between rounds cooling. Summit, jegs or pretty much any performance shop sells restrictors. I just drilled holes around the outside of the stock thermostat and it works fine.

·
Registered
844 Posts
I'll be honest. I didn't read the entire thread, but I think I picked up almost everything, so please accept my appologies if this has already been mentioned.

Do you have any pictures of the car completely assembled from the front, and in the engine compartment? My concern is that you have no frontal area going to the fans, but I'll reserve any further extraploation until I get some pictures and/or some further clarification as to how much area is open in front of the radiator.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
I'll be honest. I didn't read the entire thread, but I think I picked up almost everything, so please accept my appologies if this has already been mentioned.

Do you have any pictures of the car completely assembled from the front, and in the engine compartment? My concern is that you have no frontal area going to the fans, but I'll reserve any further extraploation until I get some pictures and/or some further clarification as to how much area is open in front of the radiator.

This is the front completed and engine in. You can see the two fans at the bottom right

·
Registered
2,892 Posts

This is the front completed and engine in. You can see the two fans at the bottom right
That looks bad ass.

From a cooling standpoint on a track only car, I am surprised that is not doing the job. It looks to have plenty of exposure to airflow. Something else is going on somewhere in the system.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts