2,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The combo

2002 GT
4v engine
Aftermarket radiator
Stock cooling fan
On3 turbo kit w/70mm turbo

The issue is the turbo is sitting right on the fan motor. I had this issue last year but swapped my stock radiator back in. Even then the turbo was almost sitting on the fan motor. REALLY tight fit.

My first question is.......... Is this how everyone's 2v/4v kits fit?

Can anyone post a picture of that specific area on their car so I can get an idea if I may be doing something wrong?

Secondly, I am putting the big aftermarket radiator back in now soooooo if I can't use the stock fan, is there another fan out there I could swap in that is thinner? Hell I don't even know if a Taurus fan would work as I'm unsure of its dimensions and what all needs done to wire it in.

Thanks for any advice here!

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Not a mod motor, but mine is really close. Close to the fans, close to the alt, close to everything.
As long as it is not touching anything it should be OK. I bought my radiator used and it had some dual fans of some Chevy(I cant remember). My biggest concern was the overflow jug and hose. I have a few pics that might help on how close my setup is.

This is my DIY junk, but I haved melted anything yet.

·
Registered
549 Posts
I used a slim line fan and I also had a big radiator. I just had to move my fan more towards the driver side of the radiator tight but it fits. also i am not using a shroud but the cooling is great though

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i just hooked it to the factory wiring, but i lost the low speed function. theres a way to get it back i just havent figured how to wire it yet. i dont use a fan shroud at all. its $159.99 at jegs....Flex-a-lite 118 Flex-a-lite LowBoy Hi-Performance Trimline 16'' Electric Fans
So did you center it up on the radiator? Or offset it a bit to the drivers side? How well did it cool on your previous turbo combo? I dont want the car to run hotter, especially with an aftermarket fan/radiator and relocated thermostat.

Also, I found that same fan but it lists it as "reversible". Does yours have the capability to be a pusher OR puller fan?

Thanks!

·
Registered
121 Posts
I am running an aluminum 3 core with no shroud and a super thin fan wired in to the low side of the factory harness. You cant hear the fan running when the car is started and there is plenty of room now.

I also have the on3 70mm turbo

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am running an aluminum 3 core with no shroud and a super thin fan wired in to the low side of the factory harness. You cant hear the fan running when the car is started and there is plenty of room now.

I also have the on3 70mm turbo
Got any pictures? What about part number or more info on the particular fan?

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
So did you center it up on the radiator? Or offset it a bit to the drivers side? How well did it cool on your previous turbo combo? I dont want the car to run hotter, especially with an aftermarket fan/radiator and relocated thermostat.

Also, I found that same fan but it lists it as "reversible". Does yours have the capability to be a pusher OR puller fan?

Thanks!
I moved the fan more towards the drivers side in order to have as much room for the turbo as possible. i datalogged coolant temps and they were fine. i drove it like that for about 6 months and never had any cooling issues at all. the fan i have is not reversible. there is a different part number if you want a pusher fan but idk why you would want one of those

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
by reversible i think they mean you can mount it on either side of the radiator because i dont see how it would be reversable on the same side because of the fan motor and the way it mounts

·
Registered
316 Posts
I am installing on3 kit with a 76mm turbonetics and a fluidyne radiator in my 03' Cobra and am also having this problem. Pictures of fan mounted would help a lot!!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts