Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What temp starts you to worrying?

Driving today and stuck in traffic I hit 210*, then it started to keep climbing to 220* before I could get rolling again and knock it back down.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Me personally I worry around 220. My car runs around 195 normally. But in the peak of summer with 100* weather it runs around 210*. So I get a little worried if it ever gets higher than that.

·
Registered
570 Posts
I worry at 200 but really damage doesn't occur till 250+ IMO not experience.

Sent from me

·
Registered
370 Posts
I think it depends on what you are doing at the time. Sitting in traffic with the fan coming on and off, I'm sure if it gets to 230-240 it would probably still be OK. But, if you are beating on it at that temp expect carnage, LOL.

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
I kept changing things till I got the car to run around 180°. I was having problems when I first put my Turbo setup together in the middle of the summer.

·
Formerly eades5.0
4,716 Posts
I'm surprised it runs that hot on E85. My car is hard to get to 200* when I race or even when I drive it around on the street since E85.
What radiator, fan and thermostat?

I trip out at 220* thats me though.

·
Premium Member
3,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Fluidyne radiator, factory mark vii fan, 180* stat. Toyota red coolant.

Those temps got there after a long highway trip straight into stop and go dead traffic.

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Try a 160° tstat but I belive u need a thicker radiator. Your just running the fluidine factory sn95 replacement right? I would look into a 2 or 3 row radiator.

·
Premium Member
3,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Try a 160° tstat but I belive u need a thicker radiator. Your just running the fluidine factory sn95 replacement right? I would look into a 2 or 3 row radiator.
yes, just the factory replacement for 94/95.

Time to get out the measuring tape and cardboard.

When it gets hot while I am sitting still it cools down once I can get air moving over it.

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Yea out of everything I changed on my car fans,T stat,Coolants,ect. The 2 row radiator is what fixed my problem. Im running a CSR water pump with a 160 T stat with a few holes in it, distilled water with 2 bottles of water wetter and a Mark VII fan. My car runs around 175-180 no matter what the temp is outside or what im doing with it.

·
Premium Member
3,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i have never seen more then 180 on my setup i would start to freak out if i saw 190 lol
How about some info on what you are running then?

·
Registered
3,651 Posts
yes, just the factory replacement for 94/95.

Time to get out the measuring tape and cardboard.

When it gets hot while I am sitting still it cools down once I can get air moving over it.
If it runs hot at idle/low speed you fan doesn't pull enough air. If you run hot at speed than your radiator is not big enough.

·
Premium Member
3,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
If it runs hot at idle/low speed you fan doesn't pull enough air. If you run hot at speed than your radiator is not big enough.
That is what I am tracking.

Fluidyne direct replacement 2 1" rows with -16an upper and lower hoses
Factory 1995 Cobra Fan set to come on at 180*
1999 GM Camaro A/C condensor (manifold not fin type like the Ford one)
3.5" air to air cooler.
The car has the factory hood, so no way for heat to escape at the cowl.

I guess I can figure out to ditch the cooler since I am running E85 or find a way to plumb a air to water.

I would like to find a much higher CFM fan.

·
Registered
737 Posts
sounds like you need better fans or change the temp they are coming on. you could just wire it up to a switch and leave it on when it is hot out regardless of engine temp. its much easier to keep it from getting hot than it is to cool it down after it gets hot.make sure it is wired up so it is the high speed side of fan on not the low speed side. use a relay with trigger wire that comes off an ignition source so you can leave it on all the time and it will go off when you turn off car.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts