Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone every have a convertor stud sheer off from the flexplate and convertor??? The racetrack was rained out today but when I got home and unloaded the car into the garage I thought everything was ok...When I was just standing there in the driveway I saw the convertor nut and half of the stud...I looked and the convertor hasn't moved nor has it loosened up...I'm going to pull everything out and replace all the studs and use locktite...I just thought it was weird...never had that happen...

Let me know what you may think could have caused this...

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Sheared all mine off going into 3rd 1-1/2 years ago. Are yours shimmed or not, it's usually because they are loose.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No they aren't shimmed, the stud just goes into the convertor and then through the flexplate.

Should I shim them and would I put the shim on the flexplate side?

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
I didn't know if you were stock or not. If stock no shimming, Get some good fasteners locktite and torque them...

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No not stock at all...it's a 9" 5500 stall convertor. What should I use to shim it?

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
No not stock at all...it's a 9" 5500 stall convertor. Should I just use a washer to shim it?
No, only have to shim if t/q depth is an issue. It sounds like all your stuff is a direct bolt in, no shimming of the convertor is needed.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok cool, I'll just replace all four studs and then loctite it in.

What did you torque it to?

·
Registered
17,637 Posts
still best to use the type of torque converter that has LEGS welded on so that you can install a grade 8 hardened -3/8 bolt and nut....
the "shim" that has been spoken about is only if the front pump in trans has been altered or if you are using a mid motor / trand mount that spaces the trans away from the engine block more than the stock deflector shield.
many of the 10 inch or so diameter converters do not have room to use "legs" because the bellhousing / ring gear is relativly small....

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am running a Dynamic TCT convertor. It does have the legs welded on the convertor but it uses a stud through that leg.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts