Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is a reasonable price to have the convertible top replaced on a newer (translate: 94-current) Mustang? Is the glass integrated with the top itself, or can the glass be reused? I've seen quite a range of prices locally, all of them 1000+.

TIA.

·
Registered
785 Posts
I am planning to put a new top on my '97 this weekend. The glass portion is re-used, unless broken or messed up. I found a local Ford dealer in Raleigh, NC that can sell me the entire top(minus the window section) for $550. Install on the unit was $200. I then called around to some reputable top companies(Auto Top and Trim in Raleigh, NC) and got an installed price of just over $450. I visited this shop and the top is identical to the factory unit. So, for $450 you can have a new top and installation.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A friend of mine called pretty much every shop in Portland (Oregon) yesterday to inquire about the cost of replacing the top and the glass. Best price was just a bit over $1000, most were pretty close to that.

The problem he's having with his top is that the vinyl has separated from the glass. Turns out that the top is separate, and when you buy the "glass" you actually get both the glass itself and the vinyl that attaches to the bottom.

From my research, it looks like the vast majority of tops that wear out do so at the bottom of the glass -- unlesss the top itself is damaged, you can pretty much count on having to fork out $1000 for everything. I'm just glad my '99's top is in really good condition. Hopefully it will be several years before I have to do anything with it.

·
Registered
80 Posts
So is the top for 99's to 03's the same as the 94 to 98's and if so does anybody know if we can get the new top that the 03 Cobras verts have? I don't know if I want to ask the price of the new tops.

·
Registered
80 Posts
03 Cobra comes with a new high-quality sound insulating cloth convertible top. I heard it is the same material as the tops on the new jags.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ANDYB said:
03 Cobra comes with a new high-quality sound insulating cloth convertible top. I heard it is the same material as the tops on the new jags.
Interesting. More sound insulation might be cool, but I'm not sure I'd want it to be cloth. There are some advantages to the vinyl... maintenance comes to mind.

As soon as the '03 Cobras start arriving at the local Ford dealer, I'll have to stop by and examine a vert up close. It'll make me jealous in the extreme, I imagine, but I will try to console myself with the fact that I paid 20k less for the '99.

·
Registered
417 Posts
I've had my top replaced twice (once due to vandalism, once recently due to psycho girlfriend w/ 9" chef's knife).. Ford quoted me $1500 for JUST THE GLASS.. found a shop to do the entire thing (new top, new glass, installed) for $970, and it looks fantastic. Ace Upholstery in Waldorf, MD if anyone is interested..

·
U.S. Army Active Duty
14,746 Posts
Cost me $750 on my old '95...top, new glass, wiring, and labor. Looked great!!! It is is Bloomington, IL, if you want any info, lemme know.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts