Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My convertible top is showing signs of wear from repeatedly putting the top up and down. It is actually creating holes in the top where it is rubbing along some of the structural supports in the top. It shows more on the passinger side behind the small window.

Is anyone else experiencing this problem and if so what have they done to slow down the process. Some kind of bonding adhesive comes to mind although I cant' imagine it would look to good.

Has anyone sucessfully delt with this aside from replacing the whole top?

Thanks!

·
Registered
80 Posts
I used clear finger nail polish to slow the holes growth seems to work ok. Also does anybody know if we can the new top for the 2003 Cobras for are older cars?

·
Registered
190 Posts
I have the same god damn problem!!! I tried putting a piece those door ding preventer strips on the spot and it stayed for about a week. I've tried the fingernail polish thing too..it seems to slow the rubbing a little but sombody has to have figured out a way to stop this ****! I have thought about removing all the interior panels to get at the mechanism that raises and lowers the top to find out exactly what is rubbing but that is a lot of work and I haven't had the time yet. Anybody have any ideas???????:confused: I hate seeing my baby shoot herself in the foot everytime I drop the top:mad: :mad:

·
Registered
439 Posts
ANDYB said:
I used clear finger nail polish to slow the holes growth seems to work ok. Also does anybody know if we can the new top for the 2003 Cobras for are older cars?
It is my understanding that the roofs of the new edge Mustangs are the same as '94 - '98's so it may work.

Also try this question in the Body Shop Forum.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
nail polish

I might just have to try the nail polish. I guess it is better than doing nothing at all. Is there any thing else that someone else is doing that is working or a product made for this?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ttt

M

·
0 Posts
Got the exact same problem... can't really complain, since the top gets put up/down about 5 days a week for the last 6 years.

For those who have tried the fingernail polish, is it obvious once the polish has dried? does it slow the hole growth down at all?

I have to go to the dealer for another problem (think i have bad O2 sensors - thank god i am under 50k miles!) - i will ask the body shop for any other suggestions.

I wonder if it is possible to patch from the inside somehow....

·
Registered
64 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts