Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What kind of times are you guys running and what weight? I am wondering if I should turn my 92 triple black LX vert into an all out race car, meaning gutting it all down for weight reduction, and going carbed. Is it worth it in the long run?

·
Registered
31 Posts
I can't say if it is for you, but I will be soon weighing my car as I soon plan on doing mostly racing with it. I long ago ditched the a/c and cruise control in my vert as well as any other unnecessary items, console arm rest delete,, etc...

I will soon be removing the crash bumpers and I am going to be removing the top cylinders and pump motor and lines. As well as going through and removing the wiring that I don't need. I did already remove the carpet backing and scraped all sound deadening material from the floorpans and trunk area.

I also did some of these things to offset the rollbar and subframe weight.

I plan on weighing the car soon and will let you know what it comes in at. It runs in the 12'[email protected] with the basic h/c/i set-up a 5-speed and 3.73s.

I plan on spraying a 125 to it, and upgrading my rollcage as well.

While I don't miss the things I removed, I don't think I'd go carbd, I like my EFI way too much.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I got a conv i'm making a race car out of its different don't see hardly any at the dragstrip, plus makes waiting in the staging lanes alot cooler with the top down HA! HA!

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
DO IT!!!

And a pic of what it looked like when i got it:

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
great pictures, looks mean as hell. Carbed is an option, but your right I do have all my efi stuff as of now.

·
Registered
91 Posts
My 98 vert is is more of a street car then drag car. However it cuts consistent 1.60 60's with a 5-speed, and runs low 12's @113-114 all day long. This is on a 17'' wheel combination too.

Can't remember what it weighed in at last year. I know the car is heavy, full leather, a/c, vortech s-trim, ect.

·
Registered
24 Posts
got a 88 lx swap car. best time so far is 8.40 (1/8). full interior, less hvac, sound deadener, and carpet padding. six pt cage and frame ties. basic h/c/i motor, converter, shift kit and gears combo. this was on dirt track tires, but just got some slicks. hope to scale it soon.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Here is a link that someone with a convertable has done http://www.superstang.com/.

To tell u the truth if i was starting from scratch i would start with a notch back or something lighter, convertable are heavier. I don't want a full cage in it. A six point or a 8 point roll bar is cool. As soon as u break into 13.5 or quicker u need a roll bar a 5 point harness, u can get a low as 11.5 with a hard top with out a roll bar.

I am running 12.0 at 120 mph fully loaded with a stereo system in it. Not sure the weight. I wanted a strip street car.

·
Registered
24 Posts
35000 motor. b cam, gtp heads with 1/94-1.6 valves and rrs. explorer intake and tb. 73 mas with 24s. 3000 converter, shift kit. 373s with southside bars. had been running American Racer 84/8 med dirt track tires, but just mounted up some MT 26/10 slicks. 60 ft 1.87- 1.90 with dirt tires.

·
Registered
668 Posts
http://www.blownstangs.com/cars/88gtvert/2009/88gt-sgmp-ortc.jpg

3500# 331 Turbo 76GTS best so far [email protected]

Click here for listing of mods etc

Back in '98 when I had a N/A 351w in it with everything pretty much still on the car it was 3700# with a 6-point bolt in cage. Lost the 200# with the UPR suspension, no a/c, no powersteering, chrom-moly wolfe cage, kirkey seats, etc. I could probably get a little more weight outta it if I tried. Doesn't help that I'm 280# of that weight tho lol.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Here is a link that someone with a convertable has done http://www.superstang.com/.

To tell u the truth if i was starting from scratch i would start with a notch back or something lighter, convertable are heavier. I don't want a full cage in it. A six point or a 8 point roll bar is cool. As soon as u break into 13.5 or quicker u need a roll bar a 5 point harness, u can get a low as 11.5 with a hard top with out a roll bar.

I am running 12.0 at 120 mph fully loaded with a stereo system in it. Not sure the weight. I wanted a strip street car.
Man that car is awsome:joy: I think it is 13.99 for a vert, well at least thats what I was told when they kicked me out of GIR.

·
Registered
302 Posts
What kind of times are you guys running and what weight? I am wondering if I should turn my 92 triple black LX vert into an all out race car, meaning gutting it all down for weight reduction, and going carbed. Is it worth it in the long run?
Got the same car but a gt:joy: My problem is I can't see putting a cage in mine when it is more of a street toy and I have 2 kids the love riding with the top down. Stock mine is a even 3200lbs with a 1/2 tank of gas and no driver. I think I would leave the vert alone and buy a 4 banger and convert it. One more thing is the tops don't hold worth a #### at high speed. A guy here in STL would run with his top down to save it.

·
Registered
432 Posts
My 'vert isn't gutted yet, 3320lbs w/o driver. Still have factory k-member. I have added quite a bit of weight to it w/rollbar, in-floor subframe connectors, Wild Ride S-Box, 8.2 Iron Eagle Dart block, Steel bellhousing, TKO, etc.... I have removed weight w/ Flaming river rack, Welds, no A/C stuff in the engine compartment (still has a/c box under dash), no front sawy bar and Kirkey seats.

If nothing else, 'verts look cool

Brian

1 - 20 of 34 Posts