Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Converter to tight?

I don't have a way of measuring driveshaft speed but I feel like the converter might be a tad bit too tight in my car. It's a UCC 8" which appears to stall around 5,200. The incremental's on this pass were.

6.556 @ 103.86
10.338 @129.75.

DA was 4750' which wasn't optimal. Car has been [email protected] but that short time has never been better than 1.40. I've tired anywhere from 3,000rpm to 4,600rpm on the 2 step and the only thing that changes is the wheelie. The short times don't really move much. Anyone agree that it may be a bit too tight?

14:1 363. Old school twisted wedge heads ~205cc, Anderson N-113HL cam, Box-R intake. 2,940lbs with me in it. The camera angle sucks. I short shifted the 1-2 but usually we are right around 7,500rpm on the shifts.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
whats it dropping on the shift RPM wise?

·
Premium Member
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
id talk to [email protected] and see what he thinks. thats more drop than id like for sure.

·
Premium Member
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
id talk to [email protected] and see what he thinks. thats more drop than id like for sure.
That was going to be my next step but I figured I'd see if it was a blatantly obvious yes or no from others 1st. Without driveshaft rpm I didn't really want to waste his time as I bought the converter used. It was out of a bigger power N/A Windsor so it would only make sense to be a little tight I guess...?

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
That was going to be my next step but I figured I'd see if it was a blatantly obvious yes or no from others 1st. Without driveshaft rpm I didn't really want to waste his time as I bought the converter used. It was out of a bigger power N/A Windsor so it would only make sense to be a little tight I guess...?
yup if it was built for a motor making more power it would be to tight.

most guys i know shoot for around 800-900 RPM drop on the shift

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
Yeah a little tight. Stall speed is probably close, assuming a 3 speed. Not knowing which stator is in the converter, it's likely that a stator change is all that's needed.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts