Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are running a pair of '87 Thunderbird TurboCoupes in LeMons and Chump and need some more camber cheaply which also implies stock parts. They both already have the longest arms that are commonly mentioned here but did Ford make anything wider? I have a vague recollection of running into a circle track guy with the tire leaned way out and his answer was that the right control arm came from an Aerostar IIRC but that was a long time ago. Does anyone know anything in this direction or have other suggestions?

The current plan is to convert the cars to SN95 stuff one at a time but that doesn't really change the camber situation (unless I'm missing something).

steve

·
Registered
574 Posts
What arms are you running? The longest I know of are the SN95 arms, they are longer than the '88-'93 Fox arms. Have you already elongated the strut ear mounting holes? You can get some camber change out of the Bilsteins with the elongated holes, this would work on a non-Bilstein strut. You already have camber/caster plates? You can pick up a used set of those on the cheap all the time, I imagine Mustang ones would work with T-Bird. I can't imagine not getting enough camber out of those three things on a Mustang, never tried on a T-Bird so I don't know what the normal lengths are there.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
You can slot the strut tower and the strut holes to get more, not sure on the control arm question, but I think the T-bird arms may be the same as SN95. You might research k-member options also. We have 4-5 negative camber on our mustang using free stock parts. How is the powertrain holding up during racing?

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We have kept the boost down to 10 pounds so it has been holding up fine. Right now it's down because the breather cap fell off the valve cover and managed to lodge itself on the exhaust system long enough to catch on fire and burn up the wiring harness directly above it. So that car is getting a 302. However we just purchased another TC and I will probably pick it up on my next trip to PA and bring it back to my shop in IN to start prepping it.

We already have plates and the strut towers are already slotted until the top of the strut is hitting the inside of the shock tower. To the best info I can find the late Thunderbird arms are the same length as the SN95.

We ran at VIR last weekend and managed 18 out of 84 cars with an n/a 2.3 Mustang. My personal best point was passing 2 of the 3 5.0 Mustangs there during my night shift. I even managed to pass one of them a second time in a 1.5 hour stint. And it wasn't even the one running on 7 cylinders. It probably helped that I have run 6 races there with SCCA.

steve

·
Registered
5,519 Posts
I have no idea which k-member the TB uses, but perhaps a k-member with the mounting points a little further outboard?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts