Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been using the Nitto NT-05 for years and just changed to the Continental looking for more longevity. Right now I can't speak for how many track days I will get from these tires so I will report back on that later but I can tell you that the performance is far superior. Turn in is immediate and crisp where in the past I was having to use a lot of steering angle to compensate for corner entry push. Mid corner grip is fantastic and the tire can multitask on exit by being able to provide great lateral grip while pouring on the power. I also was able to lengthen the straights and brake considerably later and the tire would hold and rarely activate the ABS. All in all my lap times dropped considerably.

I kept thinking how can a 340 tw tire with gobs of siping for water evacuation work this well. To look at the tire which is a 275 one would thing there is only maybe 245 or 255 mm of contact when you subtract the siping. Now if I can just get another day or two more than the Nitto before they are toast I will be happy.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Guessing you never got to watch Nitto's own NT-05 video showing (IIRC) a BMW running through an 'S' shaped sequence of corners. This was quite a few years ago, and I think they pulled it because it made the car look more like it was drifting than actually hustling.

Norm

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
Where were you running, and do you have any before and after lap times for the sake of comparison?

It is pretty amazing how the compounds get grippier and grippier, but treadlife seems to also be getting better.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Guessing you never got to watch Nitto's own NT-05 video showing (IIRC) a BMW running through an 'S' shaped sequence of corners. This was quite a few years ago, and I think they pulled it because it made the car look more like it was drifting than actually hustling.

Norm
Interesting.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Where were you running, and do you have any before and after lap times for the sake of comparison?

It is pretty amazing how the compounds get grippier and grippier, but treadlife seems to also be getting better.
Carolina Motorsports Park and it was 100 degrees! Didn't have a watch on it but the but-o-meter says a couple of seconds for sure.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Interesting for sure! Isn't this tire a 340 TW? I know I am definitely looking for something other than the NT05's next time around.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
I have a stack of 285 DWs in the garage waiting to be mounted. Bought them a few months ago on clearance. Planning to mount them on my 10.5 Cobra R replicas I usually run 315 slicks on.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have a stack of 285 DWs in the garage waiting to be mounted. Bought them a few months ago on clearance. Planning to mount them on my 10.5 Cobra R replicas I usually run 315 slicks on.
The Sport supposedly takes the DW to the next level. Grassroots Motorsports said the Sport out performed the Michelin Pilot Super Sport. I suspect the DW won't be a round much longer.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Shopping for tires now. Seriously considering the BFGoodrich g-Force Rival S. On sale now at Tire Rack. Any experience with these?

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Shopping for tires now. Seriously considering the BFGoodrich g-Force Rival S. On sale now at Tire Rack. Any experience with these?
None here. Don't think they make my size.

·
Registered
5,423 Posts
Went to the MPSS on the '16GT. Huge difference over the stock Pirelli P-Zeros. The P-zeros are a 220 TW whereas the MPSS is a 300. While the P-Zeros were OK when aired down, the MPSS are clearly better. Ran Summit Point Shenandoah with each set. Never got into the ABS at the last event running the MPSS, but the laps just kept getting faster (based upon the cars passed and instructor comments). Apparently, the new MPS4 is even better. Amazing grip for a 300 TW tire plus longevity. What isn't to love?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Went to the MPSS on the '16GT. Huge difference over the stock Pirelli P-Zeros. The P-zeros are a 220 TW whereas the MPSS is a 300. While the P-Zeros were OK when aired down, the MPSS are clearly better. Ran Summit Point Shenandoah with each set. Never got into the ABS at the last event running the MPSS, but the laps just kept getting faster (based upon the cars passed and instructor comments). Apparently, the new MPS4 is even better. Amazing grip for a 300 TW tire plus longevity. What isn't to love?
I really wished Michelin made the Super Sport in a wider range of sizes. I've been running MPSS in 245/45 since 2015 on my stock 17x8 starfish wheels. But I recently purchased 17x9 Cobra R wheels (got a great deal!) and want to run 255/40. Unfortunately MPSS nor the new MPS4 comes in 255/40/17 (or even 275/40/17) so am thinking about trying the Contis when the MPSS wears out completely.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just completed my 2nd track day on the Conti's doing 6 20 min sessions. Have gotten comfortable with the handling characteristics and am amazed at the difference between this and the Nitto. It's a completely different car. Having to drive around a push I never could get rid of is gone as are the drifting days. 37 psi hot seems to be the correct pressure. Wear seems to be good but still won't know how many days I can get until it's over. Maybe I should count sessions rather than days because that's what really counts. So as of now I have 12 20 minute sessions and counting.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Going to run the SCCA Track Night at Blackhawk tonight. Looking forward to seeing how they do compared the the Kumhos Ecsta XE's I have been running. I went with the 255/40/17's all around.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Going to run the SCCA Track Night at Blackhawk tonight. Looking forward to seeing how they do compared the the Kumhos Ecsta XE's I have been running. I went with the 255/40/17's all around.
Do you mean XS?

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Yes, sorry.

These new tires were pretty impressive. I took it around the track the first time and found I was able to push it harder into and out of corners than I have been able to in the past and got no where near breaking loose and the car went pretty much where I pointed it through out. Accelerating out of corners was done with much more confidence as well. They flat out stick. I used 35 psi in them and it worked great. I think I am going to buy another set of these before everyone else starts and the prices go up. Love these new tires.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts