Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I've been looking at some auto x type of events, and I;m honestly thinking about getting into the scene after my blower setup is done..It looks adrenaline packed and puts your best driving skills to the test..In located in NC, where are some good places to get into the racing scnene? Also, whats some basic mods to go with for auto x..Im a noob on auto x type of racing..

99 Saleen

Functioin saleen kit, suspension
gear swap is a must, these 410s will kill me on auto x..Gonan go with 373s, so I can still break boost easily...
Vortec SQ 8psi blower kit intercooled"..Ofcourse with all the small mods that are associated with every blower setup, TB< AIr meter, infectors etc etc
of course the stock 18x9 18x9.5 Saleen wheels...Plus several other bolt ons, just giving u an idea of my setup for auto cross..What do u guys think of this, decent setup for auto x? Give me some insight into the sport and where to go for racing..VIR "Virginia INternation Raceway" is near be in two towns, but I dunno when I should go or anything and when i called and looked at their brochure they didnt have much elp in that area..Onl ydownside to this sport, is ill be about the only mustang playin inthere with all thoe imports :( ..But Im good in road racing ,cornering..and my car is really setup up well suspension and aerodynamics wise with drifting etc..

Thanks

·
Registered
916 Posts
USAIC_SPLMUSTANG said:
Give me some insight into the sport and where to go for racing..VIR "Virginia INternation Raceway" is near be in two towns, but I dunno when I should go or anything and when i called and looked at their brochure they didnt have much elp in that area..Onl ydownside to this sport, is ill be about the only mustang playin inthere with all thoe imports :( ..But Im good in road racing ,cornering..and my car is really setup up well suspension and aerodynamics wise with drifting etc..

Thanks
VIR's website won't be much help, you need to find local, or national clubs that have events at VIR.

Most notably will be NASA (http://www.nasaracing.net) when it returns to VIR sometime in January or February. They run other tracks in the mid atlantic, but I can't speak for any others as I've only been to VIR.
You won't be running with strictly 4 bangers. You'd be surpised what you can see in a DE 1 event.
Past two times I've gone with my local mustang club and we've had a blast.
We've had different people running different levels of HPDE, and we have a friend that runs CMC. Do some searching around on NASA's website and just read up on it.

·
Super Moderator
27,657 Posts
There's a list of organizations' websites in the FAQ in this forum. It's only a partial list, but it's a good start, and may provide links for surf material. I think you're on the right track hitting a few autocross events first.

·
Registered
305 Posts
NASA is definitely a good option for trying out VIR. Minimum prep would be change your brake fluid and make sure your cooling system is up to handling your blower under boost for 20 minutes at a time. There's a lot more you could/should do, but for a first trip to the track that'll likely get you by. You'll probably learn more in a day at VIR than in a year of autocross- you'll get way more seat time.

Good mods for autocross newbies are negative camber (-1.5 degrees) and ~44 psi tire pressure up front, 34 rear. For VIR don't run them that high, cuz they'll come up a lot under all that heat.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts