Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I wanted to get your opinions on a car I'm planning to buy.
I found a '99 cobra mustang that paced champ car races with all the goodies like strobes/racing harnesses and mods, but I'm worried that even though it was probably maintained it still had 15k miles of track use that has worn it out. The car is very clean and paint is good. The fire suppression tubing was cut at the tanks but may be returned to use. He seems firm at 20k and I don't know if the provenance of an actual pace car that paced a 4 year old defunct series is worth 8-12k over. Hedging now but I like its uniqueness. Any ideas what the car is worth? Thanks!

·
Registered
7,042 Posts
For 20k buy a terminator and call it a day.
lol

I read the thread title and thought, "depending on what price he states, I'm going to say buy an 03/04."

Based on the $20k price tag, BUY AN 03/04 COBRA! Any extra that it will cost now, will be made up by the depreciation of the 99. There is no provenance for a 99 Cobra pace car in a big series, let alone small ones. It's just not a desirable car when you have the 93 before it and the 03/04 after it.

I would say it's probably worth in the actual sales price range of $10-14k.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. That is the consensus from everyone I speak to. Everyone says either get a Terminator or an early 2000's TA or SS.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Thanks. That is the consensus from everyone I speak to. Everyone says either get a Terminator or an early 2000's TA or SS.
I would stay away from 00s GM. A terminator (or any new edge) has a lot better quality. IMO.
I like GTOs if u go that route though.
I have yet to see a nice Camaro in that generation

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ouch. I just bought a 01 TA. Guy wouldn't budge on the cobra. I still love the car and if I can get enough shekels together I would consider it or any of the doch cobras. I do appreciate everybody's helpful advice and in fact my friend just bought a terminator today which I hope to see soon.

Attachments

·
11,040 Posts
Top dollar for a car that has been raced?

...I'd pass.

You are recognizing that the car has historic significance (albeit minor). If you are willing to pay for that, then it's worth it. Your call. We can't answer that question.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts