Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up an 03 cobra last weekend and ever since I first saw the article on hellions hellraiser kit ive always wanted to compound boost one. Now I have my chance! Problem is- I dont want to drop a small fortune on the hellion kit-- I already have a set of 55mm turbonetics spinners and the cold side from a gt sitting in the garage collecting dust-- would love to see them under the hood of this cobra. Has anyone tried compound yet? Im just wondering if anything needs to be different or if I can treat it as a normal turbo install? Would I still need to run a BOV? I think the only thing im really missing is manifolds and piping to match up to the cobra heads- looks like l can adapt everything else over fairly easy. Any info would be appreciated!

·
Registered
772 Posts
I picked up an 03 cobra last weekend and ever since I first saw the article on hellions hellraiser kit ive always wanted to compound boost one. Now I have my chance! Problem is- I dont want to drop a small fortune on the hellion kit-- I already have a set of 55mm turbonetics spinners and the cold side from a gt sitting in the garage collecting dust-- would love to see them under the hood of this cobra. Has anyone tried compound yet? Im just wondering if anything needs to be different or if I can treat it as a normal turbo install? Would I still need to run a BOV? I think the only thing im really missing is manifolds and piping to match up to the cobra heads- looks like l can adapt everything else over fairly easy. Any info would be appreciated!
Make sure you also notice in that article that they stated clearly that just the turbos alone would make ALOT more horsepower than that goofy Hellion kit offered. The supercharger is a major restriction in that setup.

·
Registered
201 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hmmm-- yeah I thought it would be a nice setup- low end and high end power- plus cant beat the "wow" factor of having both twins and a sc. I would really miss the low end grunt- if I can keep more low end I dont mind not having quite as much on the top.

·
Registered
252 Posts
get kenne bell, you will have more power then you want.
or just use smaller, faster spooling turbos that make about 600 useable horse power and spend the money you saved on chassis mods so your 600 hp car will walk all over 1000 hp dyno queens. what the hell are you gonna do with 1000 hp anyways...you sure aren't gonna hook it until about fifth gear.

not that i am knocking you i think the compound boost thing is cool too...but better suited to tractor pulling...not a mustang

·
Registered
12,251 Posts
nice turbo's > KB

·
Registered
772 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Well, what a surprise! Hellion posting a graph extolling the virtues of the system they are trying to sell. Imagine that:rolleyes:
Did they piss you off or something?

Yeah imagine that a company that sells a good product likes to show how it performs. Crazy.

I think they are trying to show that this argument about the top end restriction and what not is not true. Take it as you will, but there's no need to bash on them for doing it.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
deffinently not after 1000hp--- its hard to plant the tires on my 00 with dyno numbers only half that amount!yeah 600 would be plenty! Just looking for something different- hoping to keep good low end- and I absolutely have to have turbo's wether the sc stays or goes(I have a fetish for them I guess)-
after checking with several sites a bit further it looks like everything is going to be basically the same either way- so im going to go ahead and start in on fabbing these up to the cobra and worse case cenario I will just wind up pulling the sc and replacing it with an intake later. Will let everyone know what I come up with! Just have to figure out how I want to run my hot side...

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
Did they piss you off or something?

Yeah imagine that a company that sells a good product likes to show how it performs. Crazy.

I think they are trying to show that this argument about the top end restriction and what not is not true. Take it as you will, but there's no need to bash on them for doing it.
One thing that seems to rub me the wrong way is that I always seem to see elevated dyno numbers from the likes of Hellion and others that dyno at higher elevations. They like to apply SAE correction values which are not valid at higher elevations on turbocharged setups.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Just looking for something different...
If this is your motivation, then I say go for it. It will certainly be different and definately be a conversation piece at the local car show or hangout. From that perspective it could be a lot of fun.

I'm just saying that from a performance standpoint, I wouldn't buy it. Especially from a dragrace standpoint. If it was such a winner, all the dragracers across the country would be throwing these things on their cars. But the simple fact is that the supercharger is a major restriction to making ultimate power in that setup.

Furthermore, the inflated numbers posted earlier I don't believe for one minute. I am so damned sick of seeing these companies post these absolutely, ridiculous dyno numbers only to find out on youtube that these 1000rwhp cars only go 10.60s. Making 1200rwhp, that Cobra better go fricken' 175mph in the 1/4mile or they just need to STFU and stop lying to people.

·
Registered
42 Posts
If this is your motivation, then I say go for it. It will certainly be different and definately be a conversation piece at the local car show or hangout. From that perspective it could be a lot of fun.

I'm just saying that from a performance standpoint, I wouldn't buy it. Especially from a dragrace standpoint. If it was such a winner, all the dragracers across the country would be throwing these things on their cars. But the simple fact is that the supercharger is a major restriction to making ultimate power in that setup.

Furthermore, the inflated numbers posted earlier I don't believe for one minute. I am so damned sick of seeing these companies post these absolutely, ridiculous dyno numbers only to find out on youtube that these 1000rwhp cars only go 10.60s. Making 1200rwhp, that Cobra better go fricken' 175mph in the 1/4mile or they just need to STFU and stop lying to people.
You obviously don't understand that Hellion's twin kit can be used with or without the supercharger. There's been a couple of articles about twin setups utilizing the supercharger. Hellion's kit uses different turbos(i.e. smaller 61mm T3/T4 turbos for non-s.c. applications and 61mm T4 turbos for supercharged applications) and downpipes depending on which setup you go with (supercharged or non-supercharged). There was another article with a different twin kit that tested the same turbos(w/o changing exhaust housing sizes) and downpipes with and w/o the supercharger so it wasn't a very good comparison. And you need a hell of a lot more components to lay down a 175mph trap speed than a motor throwing down 1200rwhp. If a 1000rwhp vehicle is only running 10.60 then some attention needs to be turned to suspension, tune, etc. You should really get your facts straight before spewing hateful info.

·
Registered
772 Posts
And you need a hell of a lot more components to lay down a 175mph trap speed than a motor throwing down 1200rwhp. If a 1000rwhp vehicle is only running 10.60 then some attention needs to be turned to suspension, tune, etc. You should really get your facts straight before spewing hateful info.
Please, for just a moment, step away from the Mustang magazine...I know it will be hard, but you can do it for a minute I'm quite sure.

First of all, there was nothing "hateful" about what I said. Are you that emotional or sensitive? Oh, I forgot, in our feminized world if you say it like it is, you're "hateful." Give me a break...

Secondly, if an '03 Cobra is making 1200rwhp, there are plenty of "good components" already built into that car for it to go 175mph in the 1/4 mile. If someone is making that kind of power on a dyno, they already have the fuel system. From there they need a twin-disk clutch, a set of sticky tires and that's about it (obviously safety equipment would be helpful, but not necessary to the car actually going that fast). Now the car won't ET for shiaat due to the fact that it may still have an independent rear end in it, but many guys making this kind of power in a Cobra have already put an 8.8 straight axle in the car. Regardless, even though the car may not ET well, the fact is that a TRUE 1200rwhp in an 03 Cobra should push that car to trap over 170 FRICKEN MILES PER HOUR! And if it doesn't the claim is a big, smoking, pile of absolute horse shiaaat. The TRACK DOESN'T LIE. DYNO OPERATORS AND PEOPLE TRYING TO SELL THEIR PRODUCTS DO.

You're the one who needs to get the facts straight. Oh, that's right, you believe everything they write in the Mustang magazines, don't you:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
I don't think I would go that route. Is this a street car? Cobra's are bad ass with just the 3.2 KB. Something about supercharging and turbos just don't seem right. Maybe this is just before my time, im not ready. My .02

1 - 16 of 16 Posts