Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys i know alot of us all have a common problem with our turbo setups with fitting a decent size air filter on the car to flow a lot of air without hurting hp. Well i brainstormed a while and a couple hours later this is what i come up with. Its compact enough i didnt have to hack into my fender well to run a big filter and i can take this on and off easily to service. I havent tried it out yet as im waiting for the adhesive to set up, but this probably wouldnt be a good choice for a daily driven setup. However, in my case and many others im sure..i only drive my car on nice days and take it to the track. So i think this would flow almost as much as not having a filter on at all but yet filter out almost everything besides really fine dust. Tell me what you guys think...its just chicken wire bought from my local rural king and i ordered a custom size k and n prefilter..
Ty

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
in my opinion, the only stuff getting past this filter is the reallly fine dust particles...everything else it will stop. And since im not daily driving mine and only drive it on nice roads on nice days...and to the dragstrip...i believe it will be ideal...and it didnt cost nothing to make...Ill see how it works out.
Ty

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
I really am looking into somw new type of filter set up myself. I have the smallest K & N filter they make and still cant get it out without tearing it or pulling the front bumper.

I wonder if it would hurt to spray the K&N oil on that mesh??? Let us know hoe it works out, great thread!

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
im not sure if it will hurt to spray it with the oil or not, i believe these are designed to be run dry so thats how im going to run it.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well that design didnt quite work because when it came to putting it on the turbo it was just a little too small. When i wrapped the outer rubber piece around tight is closed the circle too small..so i revised the idea and it made it twice as simple as the one shown in the picture. i took the round rubber seal i cut off my original k and n. I then just slipped it on the turbo inlet by itself, not attached to the filter at all. Basically just a spacer and also act as a seal when clamped down. So now all i have is the metal screen and the pre filter wrapped over the screen and folded back over the end and stapled it back onto itself eliminating the need for any glue or adhesive. Then i just slid it on and clamped it down..I took it down the road yesterday as i got the ready for the winter and everything seemed to be doing ok. I also smeared a light film of filter oil on the inside of the turbo inlet to trap some of the smaller dust that may pass through. But as i said i dont plan on driving it unless the conditions are nice so it should be good. Here is another pic of the finished product.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
I like the idea and may add a small layer of foam for extra security. The only problem is actually testing to see how much filtration may be too much. I believe you have a Quicktime kit too? I dont think Im going to cut my K & N just yet I hate to ruin a expensive filter.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yes i have a quicktime kit..the k an n is so small and restrictive, i couldnt even take it off without taking the turbo off. It didnt bother me one bit to cut it up because i knew i wouldnt use it anymore after making this deal.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
so far it has worked out great and looks good too imo..i havent been able to make any runs with it yet cuz the season is pretty much done here now so the car is basicly up for the winter but i did take it for a cruise on the street and had no problems yet.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts