Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I called two local shops today and was quoted $120 to install two Flowmaster mufflers. This is for the install only - I would be buying the mufflers on my own. I called Flowmaster and they said to expect $30-$50 for the install. What gives? Can anyone recommend a shop that will charge less than $100 for the install? I really don't know what to expect, but if it costs $120 to install, then I'll just spend a little more and get a catback system. I thought I could save some money getting weld-ins, but it's not looking like that's the case.

$70 ea muffler = $140 + $120 install = $260. Heck, I'll just spend $320 and get the Magnaflow CB if that's the case! Or even the Flow American Thunder system.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
174 Posts
$100 is about typical for where I live (quite a ways from you, but for comparison purposes).

I just went ahead and bought the Flowmaster American Thunder catback. The install was really easy -- the hardest part was cutting the pipes to get the old mufflers out.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I just got two flowmaster series 40 mufflers about a week ago. For both the mufflers and installation (cut out old and welded in new) it cost me $175. I just got my GT and if I would have known anything I would of gotten a whole exhaust set up for more hp.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Not a $100!! Geez

My brother just had two flowmaster mufflers welded into his 98GT and only got charged $40. Don't pay that much for a muffler job.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's what I figured. Otherwise, why even bother with weld-ins if the install alone is going to cost over $100. Can any Columbus, OH people recommend a good local shop that will charge a reasonable price to weld in two Flows?

Topless Cobra - Flowmaster recommends that you have their CB welded. I know the other CB brands make no mention of needing to weld the connections - did you have them welded?

·
Registered
4,226 Posts
If you don't find a shop

to do it cheap...give RL on here a email.....he lives in deleware....and is a artist with exhaust and a welder. I'm sure he would do it cheap or for a good half shaft or 2 :D

·
Registered
90 Posts
I would call Ketchum's in Hilliard, prices aren't too bad and their quality is A-1. Probably the best place in Cnetral Ohio to take a 4.6 stang.

Also call Exhaust Pro on 161 accross from the bowling palace. They installed my exhaust, they were more than Ketchum's but are closer to work so conveniece won out on that job.

Get ahold of RL, I forgot about him. He even offered to install JBA's on my Cobra, but didn't give me a price. Now all I have to do is buy the damn headers.:)

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ketchum's was at $120, and Exhaust Pro won't install mufflers you don't purchase from them. You are right though, I've had work done on my old Probe GT at Ketchum's and they did a good job for what I thought was a reasonable price.

I realize you get what you pay for, but it just seems $120 is too high. I guess I'll try to get in touch with"RL"???? Any other thoughts/suggestions?

VMS - was your cobra featured in MM & FF? Is it Blue? If so, you have one sweet car!

·
Registered
90 Posts
BMan5150 said:

VMS - was your cobra featured in MM & FF? Is it Blue? If so, you have one sweet car!
Nope, I wish it was worthy enough to be a feature but nope. I'm pretty much a stock triple black convertible.

·
Registered
3,529 Posts
Re: If you don't find a shop

Jeff88coupe said:
to do it cheap...give RL on here a email.....he lives in deleware....and is a artist with exhaust and a welder. I'm sure he would do it cheap or for a good half shaft or 2 :D

Rob has a few jobs this weekend, but he may be able to do it a bit later...
[email protected]

·
Registered
249 Posts
Hey BMan . . what's up?? I know a friend of mine that got Midas to do it for like $40 to $50 I believe!!

rl is a Corral member - shoot him a PM!! He is a real good guy so he won't screw you over!! :)

If you want though you can give Floyd's Auto shop a call . . I have used them before and they do REAL good work but are a little pricey!! There number is: 836-7987 and talk to Bill for a quote!!

Talk to ya later man

-Brad-

·
Registered
174 Posts
BMan5150 said:
Topless Cobra - Flowmaster recommends that you have their CB welded. I know the other CB brands make no mention of needing to weld the connections - did you have them welded?
Yep. I did the install at my brother's place, because he has a nice shop and also a MIG welder. Having done it, I think the clamps are probably strong enough, except that on my '98 the driver-side tail pipe didn't have a lot of overlap inside the muffler pipe against which to clamp.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts