Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How important is it to put a CAI set up on a turbo?MOST people just run a filter or screen on the inlet,but some and myself have the filter in the fender.Is it really worth it?

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
I don't think it mtters TOO much, but it seems like a good idea to get the air as cool as possible. My buddy gained 1.5psi on his srt4 from a cai if that matters any.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Uhhh don't mind me asking but how would he get extra pressure from a cooler intake charge? Unless stock setup was restricting the turbo then I could see that.

But yes cooler air is better for the turbo. Not AS noticeable as a n/a setup, but anything helps.

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
1-2hp per 10 degrees of temperature is the rule.
Under hood air temps are easily in the 120-150+ range on a turbo motor.

You can easily pick 10-20hp and a good bit more on a nice cold day.

It matters.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok just checking cause i'm gonna repanel that panel on my bay again.And if it didnt matter as for a CAI i was gonna leave that hole out. Thanks guys!

·
Jersey True Street Guy
3,195 Posts
You have to be very careful with any restriction in front of the turbo. I tested both an air filter and screens on the dyno with the pt78 and the 88 and there were major power hits. Putting a bend and additional piping will likely have a similar effect.

Now cutting a large hole in the front of your car is a different story....

·
Registered
7,142 Posts
In reality, the warmer air a compressor has to compress, the more pressure is created. I see 1-1.5psi more boost on hot days. Warmer air is less dense, and can not be compressed as much, giving higher PSI levels. Since the air density is less, it carries less oxygen, so the power output remains similar.

Adding an intercooler after a compressor, will usually have a lower PSI because the air is being compressed, then cooled. When this cooling effect happens, PSI drops.

·
Registered
289 Posts
1-2hp per 10 degrees of temperature is the rule.
Under hood air temps are easily in the 120-150+ range on a turbo motor.

You can easily pick 10-20hp and a good bit more on a nice cold day.

It matters.
I would like to see backed up information of that claim on a turbo car with a front mount intercooler.

You need to look at compressor efficiency and intercooler efficiency before you start making those kind of claims.

Just because you see a 10-20deg change in pre-turbo intake temp does NOT mean you will see that same 10-20deg change going into your throttle body.

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
Uhhh don't mind me asking but how would he get extra pressure from a cooler intake charge? Unless stock setup was restricting the turbo then I could see that.

But yes cooler air is better for the turbo. Not AS noticeable as a n/a setup, but anything helps.
That may have been the issue.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Makes sense but also remember s/c do not usually have intercoolers for their charge.

Plus I am assuming that turbos are able to withstand more heat then a supercharger would seeing as a turbo operates off exhaust temps (unlike a s/c on top of an engine).

I would be curious to see the difference it would make on a turbo app. Maybe I will have to try :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts