Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a maximum motorsports front coilover kit and I was wondering if they will work with the stock struts? The struts they are made for are the tokico/koni units. What would the negatives be with using the stock struts?

·
Super Moderator
27,657 Posts
Their complete inability to deal with the spring rates would be a start.

·
Registered
105 Posts
MFE said:
Their complete inability to deal with the spring rates would be a start.
That statement is totally dependent upon the spring rates used. If the spring rates are keep the wheel rates close to the OEM rate the stock dampers will work fine with coil overs.

If the spring rates are increased then the stock dampers will not be very effective.

·
Super Moderator
27,657 Posts
Indeed, but when I think of "MM coilover kit" I don't think of anything like stock wheel rates. On the other hand he has a post saying he got 200# springs. Close enough to stock I guess. So change my response to the negative would be spending all that money on coilovers and still not changing the handling characteristics much.

·
Registered
428 Posts
If this formula is wrong correct me:

(Coilover Rate) * .9 * 4 = (Coil on arm rate)

200 * .9 *4 = 720lb/in

So the wheel rate would roughly be doubled and I'd say MFE's first statement would stand.

100-150 lb/in coilovers would make his second statement ring true.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wouldnt it be the same though as using full size aftermarket coil springs with a hight spring rate?

·
Super Moderator
27,657 Posts
grays93 said:
Wouldnt it be the same though as using full size aftermarket coil springs with a hight spring rate?
It could be, and that's exactly the point. It's ridiculous to go to higher-rate springs on stock struts and shocks, unless those struts and shocks were intended for the rates, like facotry Bullitt and Mach 1 units.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok. I just wanted to know if it would be about the same as the aftermarket coils I was using now. Im just saving up for aftermarket struts and the stockers will have to do for awhile. Does anyone know if the diameter of the stock strut will even fit into the the coilover sleeve?

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
The stock struts should fit the sleeves designed for Tokicos.

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
grays93 said:
Ok. I just wanted to know if it would be about the same as the aftermarket coils I was using now. Im just saving up for aftermarket struts and the stockers will have to do for awhile. Does anyone know if the diameter of the stock strut will even fit into the the coilover sleeve?
Which springs are you using now?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts