Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just install the coilovers just wondering if i have them set to low.

The car doesn't rub anything or on the road.
Right now it is sitting at from top of wheel well to ground
Driver side Front 26"
Pass. side Front 26 1/4"
Driver side Rear 26"
Pass side rear 25 7/8"

Coilovers are set equal setting side to side slight differences on car must be due car tolerances.

Tire hieght is 25.5 to 25.7"
Thinking i may need to raise it all the way around by 1/2"
What do guys think?

Thanks for you time
Jay

·
Registered
850 Posts
For handling purposes, a good rule of thumb is that the outer front lca pivot point shouldn't be any higher than the inner one. Any higher (i.e., car lower) and the camber curve, which is none too good to begin with, goes all to hell and camber starts going more positive as the wheel moves up on compression.

BTW, one real benefit of coil overs is that you can adjust corner weights for more predictable handling. Try a little search.

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
Given 25.4" tall tires (275-40-17's) from the back of the k-member (where it bolts to the frame) it should read 8.5" off the ground for the street. This measurement comes from Griggs and is based on strut travel limits.
Mine is currently set for 8", but thats mostly track duty.

·
Registered
3,627 Posts
Darius has that front ride height number down pretty good, for the reason Bob stated above you don't want it too low. For the rear a good initial setting is to measure the distance from the ground to the rear control arm front bushing bolt and adjust the height until the rear bushing bolt is at the same height. Once you have done this then you can try different settings to see how the car reacts or better yet, pay someone with scales to corner weight the car for you. If you know someone with scales maybe you can borrow them and do it yourself, that's even better.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I measured the Front it is 8" from the ground. My front lca's are a a little negative i guess due to my stock k member still. I think i will set it to 8.5" and see if the lca are straight.

thanks for the info!!

Jay

1 - 6 of 6 Posts