Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to install Strange 10 way struts and shocks on my nearly full weight '95 GT. This is a stick car.

Is it worth going with coilovers up front and why?

Car is mostly street driven.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Get the 10 way see if it does what you want. If not buy them. No reason to spend money if you may not need too. You can always add later.

·
Premium Member
1,131 Posts
Go coilover up front cause u can adjust ride height, select specific spring rates and drop a bit of weight.
This exactly^^^. Especially for the price of coilovers. My opinion, you’ll get a better ride quality and handling too.

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Go coilover up front cause u can adjust ride height, select specific spring rates and drop a bit of weight.
Ah whadda you know?

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Which coilover kit to use with Strange struts?

·
Premium Member
1,131 Posts
RaceCraft here. Can’t go wrong with Team Z, UPR, Maximum Motorsports.....all depends on your budget. They all perform well for people.

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
RaceCraft here. Can’t go wrong with Team Z, UPR, Maximum Motorsports.....all depends on your budget. They all perform well for people.
I remember reading something about the UPR kits being noisey?

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
The sleeve kits are pretty much the same. Noise comes from improper top hat installation and 14in spring rubbing the threaded sleeve.

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The sleeve kits are pretty much the same. Noise comes from improper top hat installation and 14in spring rubbing the threaded sleeve.
Gotcha.

·
Premium Member
2,573 Posts
It depends on the spring. I run 14" front springs and they do not touch at all.

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
i use whatever coil over kit comes with the team z front kit with 14" 175lb springs and have no issues

·
Premium Member
1,131 Posts
Yup, this exactly. I have RaceCraft Kit w/ RaceCraft 12” springs. Also RaceCraft Caster/Camber plates. No noise here.

Had a UPR kit on my previous car with MM caster/camber plates, no noise there as well.

Stick with a kit from a reputable company and you can’t go wrong either way.

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I went with the Strange struts and coilover kits. 12-170 springs. We'll see how they do. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
46 Posts
I installed some custom rear suspension bits onto my 1987 Mustang, which included QA-1 coil-overs and springs.

https://goo.gl/photos/wjq1JSeY3dBndJPG6

The thing you have to realize with coil-overs is that all the loads are now born by the shock or strut. So whatever you have the shock or strut bolted to needs to be really strong. If you look at spec cars, they actually use adjustable springs outboard of the dampers, so the loads are spread out over over more structure.

I also did a similar modification on the front suspension:

https://goo.gl/photos/A6DML7hjefLR2Vzz6

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
I installed some custom rear suspension bits onto my 1987 Mustang, which included QA-1 coil-overs and springs.

https://goo.gl/photos/wjq1JSeY3dBndJPG6

The thing you have to realize with coil-overs is that all the loads are now born by the shock or strut. So whatever you have the shock or strut bolted to needs to be really strong. If you look at spec cars, they actually use adjustable springs outboard of the dampers, so the loads are spread out over over more structure.

I also did a similar modification on the front suspension:

https://goo.gl/photos/A6DML7hjefLR2Vzz6
He's only talking about coilovers up front, not rear.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts