Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
Depends on your spring length and how much you intend on dropping the car. With a 10" 375lb spring in front, stock height, I do not need helpers. That is, at full droop there is no compression in the springs, but no slack either (pretty much perfect). If I went to a 10" 425lb spring, I would have to lower the spring perch to get the same ride height, and at full droop there would be some slack in the spring, and I might choose to install helpers. Likewise, if my spring length changed, e.g. if I needed clearance to the inside of the rim, it would change the setting of the spring perch, which might create slack at full droop.

Glenn may chime in here about helpers, or you can do a search, because I know he's posted about them sometime in the last few months.

That's a pretty stiff rear spring...you gotta TA or 3-link?

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Don't have a torque arm yet, I hope to get it in month it sure needs it. Thanks for the info on the helpers :)

I just installed the rear coilovers and I have the perch set about 1 1/4" from the bottom of the threads. Right now top of rear fenderwell is 27" from ground I think I need lower another 1/2". How low are you guys setting your coilovers/car?

Thanks for your time,
Jay

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
I run a short 8" spring in front (no helper), and at full droop the rear (stock location) springs are loose (enough to pull out with 2 fingers), but never bothered me.
Been that way for years, no problemo.

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
I run 8" 400# springs in the front. At full droop I do have slack, but that is if I have both wheels on the ground. If I still have one wheel on the ground, then I dont have any slack as the swaybar will keep the wheel in the air from going slack.

·
Registered
102 Posts
It's doubtful you'll need helpers. I have coilovers all around - 425/225 - with 8" springs on all 4 corners. The only ill effects from it that I've seen is some brake hop on the rear, and that's only when I romp on the brakes on track.

David

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
Well, your car would have to jump an awaful lot to get the amount of droop you get when you jack it up. Think "Dukes of Hazzard" style jumping.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts