Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have to replace my T45 in my 99' cobra and I found several different ones that will seem to work, but I keep coming back to the same question. Is the T45 in the cobra any better than the one in the GT? Is it rated for any more HP or beefed in more in any way? Was there any year that was better than the other? I would appreciate all opinions, thanks. I'm buying one here in the next couple of days so please help.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I asked the same question a while back. I was told they are the same, but I couldn't be sure. You could call Ford parts and ask if they map to the same transmission for sure. As for differences in years, B&M owned and made it in 96-97 and Tremec took over (bought) it in 98. The Mid 98 T-45 will carry a "Tremec" name on the side of the transmission. These were rumoured to have some small improvements like 2nd gear synchro, etc. I have had both and have found no difference. As I understand it they are rated for 320 ft/lbs of Torque. This would be very close to your 317 ft/lbs torque claimed by Ford on the 99 Cobra.

Hopefully someone else can give you a bit more info. The production 3650 in 2001 was supposed to handle 360 ft/lbs of torque, but like any of these production Ford (B&M/Tremec) transmissions, they fall short on longevity with real mods on the car. I heard the 3650 only needs minor changes to install in an older car, but not sure. Good luck..

·
Registered
495 Posts
The tail shaft housing is different. The holes where the mount bolts on are to the rear of the cobra trans and at the front on the gt trans. You might be able to put a gt trans in the cobra and make it work by drilling new holes but a cobra trans in a gt will not work unless you make a mount. I could not believe Ford welded a different mount to the cobra body but they did.

Jason.

·
Registered
147 Posts
If you need a trans don't go with the T-45, it blows. Mine's weak as anything. There are plenty of aftermarket trans that are much stronger than the weak GT units, furthermore, the Tremec is HEAVY! I would put a T-56 in B4 another T-45.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
RacinJason07--Is it possible to put the Cobra tailhousing on a GT trans or are there internal differences as well?

TexasSnake--A minor correction--It was Borg Warner, not B&M, than made the first T45s, then Tremec.

I have over 200 runs on slicks on my 99 Cobra with the stock T45 and its still fine. But I'm both lucky and slow.

Joe

·
Registered
495 Posts
Joe:

I think you can swap out the housings with no problems, I just didn't have one to swap. The only other thing that I've heard that is different are the tabs ? ( not sure of correct name ) on the shift forks, they are supposed to be better. I'm sure I can break either one.;) I will try and post a picture if I can find it of the mount I made for mine in case anybody wants to know.

Jason.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Here are the pictures. First I removed factory tabs that hold the nuts. I used two pieces of 1 1/4 " angle iron, drilled holes so I could bolt to car mount, then to trans mount. Not much to look at but it works and I can put either trans in it now. On a gt trans the mount will be where the flat spot is ahead of the mount on this cobra trans. Jason.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Jason--as usual, a pic makes up for a lot of words. Looks like a good solution and a good way to go to me. Thanks for taking the time to post it. Now at least if I trash my Cobra T45 and find a good deal on a GT version, I won't turn it down. I have GT brakes, rear end, drive shaft, etc on my Cobra now anyway, LOL.
Joe Lynch

·
Registered
495 Posts
Joe:

Since you have a cobra I think you can just slide the tabs in the opposite way and use the factory mount, may have to drill new holes on the car mount if they don't line up. Look at the side view picture, from the rear of car the factory used the 1st set of holes on the gt. If it is the same on a cobra body you can use the other end of the mount when you put the gt trans in since the mount is closer to the front of trans. You just run out of mount when you put cobra trans in gt. Are we confused yet?;)
Jason.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the info guys...and those pics are great! The mech. putting in my new tranny says you will definitely have to drill 4 new holes if you get the GT tranny and put it in a cobra, but no biggie at all. I haven't decided if I want another weak T45 or if I want to spend ALL that money for a T56. Decisions, decisions....At least I have 4 out of five gears left to use, I can skip over 4th for a while while I decide. :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts