Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys, The front brakes I installed on the GT are giving me trouble, and I'm scratching my head.

I bought a set of used Cobra calipers for the front (yes I know I shoulda bought new ones), with Russell SS hoses, with an '85 TownCar MC and SN95 booster. Also installed rear SN95 GT brakes as well. Same hoses.

The car had a tendency to lock up the left front tire a little early, and before I got a chance to check it out, started making a CLUNK on that same front left side with brake application. No other noises, other than the noisy HP+ pads. Pin is still present, and appears to be doing its job. no evidence of movement.

I'm pulling the wheel in the AM to check to make sure the mounting bracket bolts are tight, then checking to make sure the rotor isnt messed up or something. I ordered another front caliper from the local AutoZone, and they came in blank, so now I'm trying to decide to try it, or find one from ford.

Any ideas/thoughts? Just trying to get a game plan in mind before I get started.

Thanks!
-Michael

·
Registered
574 Posts
I installed my caliper wrong once and had the same issue, the pin can go in incorrectly even though it doesn't look like it can. There's a groove in both the pads and the caliper mounting bracket that form a diamond shaped hole for the pin to go into, you have to make sure that the pin slides into that diamond or it won't be in right.

I found that if I angle the one side of the caliper in and get the pads over the rotor, then in one fast motion push the other end down, it does a decent job of getting the caliper fully seated. If not, I bang on the pin side of the caliper with the heal of my hand until it seats down over the rotor and into the bracket enough to get the pin in.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts