Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been have problems routing my clutch cable without it melting against the header. Its on a 89 Gt with the ON3 5.0 kit, Ive tried multiple different ways of routing with no avail any help is appreciated Thanks

·
Registered
7,597 Posts
post some pics

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
I had the same problem. Thought maybe I routed the cable wrong when I swapped from the AOD to the T56. Finally cut off the cable bracket and re routed the cable. Used some zip ties to keep it up tight and away from the headers. Later switched to a tubular k member and now have no issues routing the cable.

If you have the stock k member you might want to consider removing the clutch cable bracket and using zip ties to keep it away from the headers. I've also heard that you can replace the cable with one from a 95 or 96? which I have heard is longer.

·
Registered
272 Posts
A '96 cable is about a foot longer and may allow you to run the cable in front of the headers. This is what I had to do with my B&G headers.

·
Registered
7,597 Posts
If you have the stock k member you might want to consider removing the clutch cable bracket and using zip ties to keep it away from the headers.
that's what i did with my cartech outlaw kit which has the turbo on the driver's side

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
those that have had issues with the cable melting is it that the cable is actually touching the header or just too close? mine is at least 6" away from the header.

·
Registered
828 Posts
I melted 2 cables before I finally ordered a 96-04 clutch cable. Way longer and has been great ever since.

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
I melted 2 cables before I finally ordered a 96-04 clutch cable. Way longer and has been great ever since.
so.. is this a stock cable for the 96-04 or an adjustable one with the 2 nuts on the end?

·
Registered
828 Posts
Its an adjustable one. I ordered mine through American muscle. Its a steeda brand.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I wrapped mine with dei tape and removed/modified the bracket to reposition it a little further away...I haven't finished the install so I'm not sure how effective it will be

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
I wrapped mine with dei tape and removed/modified the bracket to reposition it a little further away...I haven't finished the install so I'm not sure how effective it will be

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
I have done this also...I'm going to monitor it to see if it starts to over heat and get soft.

·
Registered
828 Posts
I used that DEI tape also with also a couple of those spark plug wire heat shields and still melted 2 of them. Just get a 96-04 adjustable one and be done with it.

·
Registered
994 Posts
I used an SN95 cable on mine with a heat insulator sleeve that I got from O'Reillys. Routed it in between the A/C compressor and the front header tube. Been that way for about two years now.

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
I used an SN95 cable on mine with a heat insulator sleeve that I got from O'Reillys. Routed it in between the A/C compressor and the front header tube. Been that way for about two years now.
if you could you get a pic of your cable routing it would be much apreciated!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts