Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pulled my transmission to replace rear main seal, do some work on my T5, etc...anyway, the grease specified for assembly according to my Ford service manual doesn't seem to be available any longer. What are you guys using on the pivot ball, etc for reassembly? Would any moly based be sufficient? I have a new tube of John Deere HD Moly I was thinking might work well. Anything else I could pick up locally? Would something synthetic be an option?

·
Registered
141 Posts
If it doesn't have one already,a steel bearing retainer is a good addition.The tob usually wears
into the oem aluminum retainer,so a steel retainer puts an end to this and makes engagement/disengagement smoother.

Make sure you use thread sealant or loctite on the flywheel bolts because the crank bolt holes pass all the way through to the crankcase on the 5.0...I put a dab of loctite and sealant on the bottom half of the bolt threads where they pass through the crank.

A teflon seal usually does a better job at preventing leaks if the seal is leaking because of scoring or wear in the crank.A Felpro Teflon seal usually works well.I believe the part number is BS40644.A very,very thin bead of black rtv is sometimes used with the seal,if needed.You can flip your old seal over to use as a installation tool for the new seal.If your crank has heavy scoring, a redi sleeve may be needed.

·
Registered
22,825 Posts
Pulled my transmission to replace rear main seal, do some work on my T5, etc...anyway, the grease specified for assembly according to my Ford service manual doesn't seem to be available any longer. What are you guys using on the pivot ball, etc for reassembly? Would any moly based be sufficient? I have a new tube of John Deere HD Moly I was thinking might work well. Anything else I could pick up locally? Would something synthetic be an option?
use the ford silicon caliper/dielectric grease, comes in a tube

much like the poly bushing grease, very sticky

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
use the ford silicon caliper/dielectric grease, comes in a tube

much like the poly bushing grease, very sticky
Hmmm....I do have the 8oz. tub of Energy Suspension bushing lube sitting here.

I cracked open my T5 this weekend. Found some things I don't like. Prob. going to be a bit now until I figure out what to do.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts