Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Spotted an old Lexus LS400 tonight with a flat on my drive home tonight and was pretty disappointed with how it turned out.

This tire is already so low that I spot it driving 30mph at night, and the light ahead of us turns red. It's just about on the ground, and I wave at him and tell him and his girlfriend "hey, your tire's flat, the one up front here" and he looks surprised, thanks me, and pulls away from the light and drives another mile without pulling over to even look at it. I had to make my turn and he made his without showing any signs he wanted to pull over.

Do people really not get that a flat is dangerous? Did I fail this guy by not throwing a fit over his tire? I'm torn between feeling like a good samaritan or negligent. It was an odd experience, I just hope he was only a couple blocks from home. Seems balsy on his part either way.

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
That's pretty minor compared to the person my son saw driving on the Interstate with a rear wheel completely locked up last month.

Or to the girl in a Focus wagon who passed me on a curve and hill over double yellow lines, making an oncoming pickup truck pull off the shoulder and stop to avoid her.

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Spotted an old Lexus LS400 tonight with a flat on my drive home tonight and was pretty disappointed with how it turned out.

This tire is already so low that I spot it driving 30mph at night, and the light ahead of us turns red. It's just about on the ground, and I wave at him and tell him and his girlfriend "hey, your tire's flat, the one up front here" and he looks surprised, thanks me, and pulls away from the light and drives another mile without pulling over to even look at it. I had to make my turn and he made his without showing any signs he wanted to pull over.

Do people really not get that a flat is dangerous? Did I fail this guy by not throwing a fit over his tire? I'm torn between feeling like a good samaritan or negligent. It was an odd experience, I just hope he was only a couple blocks from home. Seems balsy on his part either way.
he probably didnt believe you the tire was flat. and since most people cant tell, he probably decided you wanted to rob him or something. you can only do so much to let people know they have a problem, if they dont want to listen, that is up to them not you. you did your duty, you let him kno about the low tire.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
People can't or don't want to stop and change a tire these days. Even with tire pressure sensors, they still won't stop in time to put air in them. I work at a dealer and usually when we see a car come in due to a flat tire, it's because it went flat, they drove on it until the sidewalls blew out (sometimes no rubber's left of the chewed up wheel) and a tow guy (like AAA) changed the tire for them.

·
Registered
36 Posts
That's pretty minor compared to the person my son saw driving on the Interstate with a rear wheel completely locked up last month.

Or to the girl in a Focus wagon who passed me on a curve and hill over double yellow lines, making an oncoming pickup truck pull off the shoulder and stop to avoid her.
Seconds story is a realistic picture we see very often, sadly.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
People can't or don't want to stop and change a tire these days. Even with tire pressure sensors, they still won't stop in time to put air in them. I work at a dealer and usually when we see a car come in due to a flat tire, it's because it went flat, they drove on it until the sidewalls blew out (sometimes no rubber's left of the chewed up wheel) and a tow guy (like AAA) changed the tire for them.
Yeah I'm not sure when people decided to stop giving a crap. It's fine to ignore anything and everything about driving until the car fails catastrophically or you crash. Then people complain about their insurance going up or having an expensive visit to the shop when they were texting, ignored a problem, or ran the space saver on the freeway for months

1 - 8 of 8 Posts