Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got my TFS heads dissassembled.

What kind of solvent do you use to clean the buildup on the back of the intake valves? There's a fair amount. I've soaked the valves in Techron and brake fluid and hit it with a plastic bristle brush. It just seems to work ok but there's plenty of deposit left.

I'm thinking a soak in seafoam?

Injector timing will be changed to prevent future deposits, or at least reduced...

·
Registered
691 Posts
I used a bench grinder with a wire wheel. At first I was worried it would remove the swirl on the back, but it didnt. I was careful to clean the valve in the direction of the swirl. As for the rest of the head, I used some really hot water and some medium steel wool. Takes an ass load of time and effort, but was able to clean the heads to almost new.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've seen people post this before. I'm concerned that a wire wheel will gouge the valve metal. Not true?

Were these the valves in your AFR's in your sig?

Any ideas for a "softer" solvent?

·
Registered
986 Posts
You think that the injectors firing too late are causing this buildup?

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You think that the injectors firing too late are causing this buildup?
Yes, I think it's part of it. I had a TFS 1 cam in it with stock cam injector timing.

I'm going to play with it with this N-71.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Yep, they are from the AFRs in my sig. I bought them from CSG on here and they were in excellent shap, just dirty from regular use, and a ton of gunk build up on the back of the valve. At first I was worried that it would gouge the valve and wipe out the swirl, Im pretty sure Woody was the one who told me to use the wire brush on it. Worked like a charm. I ended up cleaning up all the valves in 10 minutes, vs the 1 hour I spent trying to scrub it off 1 valve by hand lol The rest of the head was a pain in the ass to clean tho, I ended up cutting the skin around my fingers trying to clean out the exhaust ports, kept catching on the sharp edges around the valve guide.

·
Registered
529 Posts
I clean cast iron cylinder heads with oven cleaner, so why not intake or exhaust valves?

I have also used glass beads to clean valves in my blast cabinet, leaves them looking almost like new, other then any valve seat wear.

The reminds me I have to have a set of GT40 intake valves ground. The head is fine but the valves show some wear.

·
Registered
14,118 Posts
Stick it in a wire wheel and go nuts, just stay away from the seat and where the stem runs in the guide.

I just cleaned a crapload of carbon out of the ports of an iron head, an aggressive pipe cleaner brush worked well for this purpose.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I wound up hitting them with a wire wheel. Turned out great!

·
Registered
691 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts