Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I used Simple Green. And then went to Black Magic Tire Wet Foam to make it shiny.

What you guys think?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, way cleaner than when I first bought the car.

Thanks for the reply!

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
when you said you used the tire foam, was it just applied to the black plastic parts or did you just spray it everywhere? What was the process for it?

·
Registered
253 Posts
Damn nice job!

·
Registered
3,776 Posts
That's SWEET :joy: Tell us how you did it. Did you just spray simple green then wash it off? Have you had any driving issues? How long did it take you? Was high pressure water used?

·
Registered
56 Posts
97MattGT said:
when you said you used the tire foam, was it just applied to the black plastic parts or did you just spray it everywhere? What was the process for it?
I'd be interested in a more detailed description of the process. I clean my engine bay using Ford's engine cleaner. Does a good job but no whene near as clena as yours. The Ford stuff is easy to use though, no special procedure/precaution/residue.

Let us in on your secrets, please :D

Simon

·
Registered
204 Posts
OK, where did you go FredS? We need answers. :lol:
I have used Simple Green, but I want to know about the tire foam secret. I'm cleaning the car tonight in preperation for Fun Ford Weekend.

Get back in here.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
1. Spray engine with water to make it wet. Make sure the car haven't been running, and the engine is cool/ cold. If it's hot, it won't work.

2. After engine is wet, then go nuts with Simple Green and spray everything in sight. I literally used 1/4 of the bottle. LOL.

3. Let it dry on the engine for about 5 minutes.

4. Get a water hose, and hose it all down normally. Takes a long ass time. The Simple Green tends to be concentrated, so when you spray it, it gets a bigger mess. But keep at it, and it will leave. Took me about 10-15 mins to wash it down with water.

5. Repeat steps 2-4 again.

6. After it has been cleaned 2 times, go get a leaf blower and dry the engine. It took me about 20 minutes of drying to get it pretty dry. Still wasn't completely, but the engine was working - that was fine.

7. Once engine is completely dry. Get Black Magic Tire Wet Foam, and go nuts with it on the engine. SPRAY EVERYTHING such as you did with the Simple Green. Spray the black plastic, and the engine.

8. Let that dry for about 3 hours. Then you get my result. :D

·
Registered
951 Posts
Simple Green (there is an automotive version of simple green though it probably isn't different) works very very well. I did this last weekend and was very suprised by the results. I sprayed it on everywhere, avoiding spraying directly on electrical connections. Put it in a regular sprayer as the foaming sprayer makes getting good coverage a lot harder. Let it set for about 10 min. Spray another coat. Wait a couple mins and then rinse. My engine looked better than it has in a long long time. No where near as nice as Fred's but hey, mine's also got several years more dirt caked on it.

I dunno about the tire shine stuff. I would spray it on plastic /rubber stuff only. I'd avoid metal and just use metal polish or 409 / windex on the metal stuff.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Looks great but won't the Black Magic Tire Wet Foam attract dirt like a mofo? I'm assuming it is sticky like ArmorAll but maybe I'm wrong.

Marty

·
Registered
221 Posts
I did the same thing to my engine the other day except I didnt use the black magic tire shine so mine wasnt as shiny.

That Simple Green stuff is the sh*t! I didnt even have to wipe anything all I did was spray it on let it set about 2 minutes and hose it off.

Very nice looking engine though!

·
Registered
527 Posts
I use tire foam on my engine to clean it, and man does it do the job. I just make sure the engine is cooled down, then spray the entire engine with the tire cleaner. After it has been on there for a while, I usually give it a light hose down to remove the excess chemical build up. It comes out clean and shiny, and I have yet to have any probelms.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts