Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It has been bought to my attention, and I think the classified users need to be in the know.

I think most of you know that using paypal as a gift or family/friends, the seller doesnt' have to pay the 2.8% fee. BUT, I believe we all need to be aware of a few things.

That 2.8% fee is not there for them to just make a little money. It's also there for protection of the seller and buyer. For instance, let's say the you buy a part and the seller ships it. The part is on a plane headed toward the nearest terminal and it gets hijacked and disappears into the sea somewhere. So in a case like this, since the money changed hands as a gift, paypal will offer you zero protection. You are out money, and the seller is out some parts, potentially expensive depending on what it is. Another example. Say the seller wants it as a gift. The buyer pays via gift, using their credit card. Few days later the buyer files a claim with the card company and says he didn't get the parts (whether he did or not is a different subject). Buyer files claim with the credit card company, gets full refund, and may get to keep the parts. Paypal will do NOTHING since it was sent as a gift-in other words, you gave the seller some money.

Sometimes even the seller can give the screws to the buyer if done as a gift.

Ladies and gents, don't do it. Use paypal the right way, pay the 2.8% fee and go on with life. It's best for all parties involved. I look at it this way. If the seller's item(s) are as described and the seller has any confidence in his product, using paypal for goods and services should be no problem at all. Paypal protects both parties, so it is still the most reliable and safest way to send money to another person or company. I hate paypal, but I look at it like insurance-as a necessary evil.

Now of course meeting in person is probably the best route, but when you're dealing with another party that may be across the country (or the pond...), that's not always feasible. As well, it is sometimes dangerous because you don't know who you're dealing with and what their motives are. Money orders, once that money order leaves your hand, it's gone forever, and now you're at the seller's mercy. He may or may not ship the parts, and there's not a lot you can do about it other than to take legal action, which is obviously expensive.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
If I had $1 for everytime I read about some guy getting scammed because he "gifted" the money, I'd had a lot of money. If the seller isn't willing to absorb the cost of Paypal as the means of doing business, then he needs to price his items accordingly. He knows damn well what the fees are for selling. I can't tell you the number of times I've sold a part at breakeven or a loss just to get rid of it and raise cash, to buy more parts that I will later sell at breakeven or a loss. I've walked away from many a "deal" when the seller was adamant about sending the funds as a gift- sorry not my first rodeo partner.

This is the path we have chosen.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts