Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Not sure how i should be choosing.. what would you guys recommend for my car... say 300/in rate 12" tall compared to a 275/in 10" ?

Daily driver, occasional autocross, fun car. Will have torque arm/panhard bar in the spring.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I found a guy with a pair of Bilsteins, take-offs from an 03 cobra... i'll be ordering the MM coilover kit and im just wondering about springs. The same guy has a set of springs which are 12" tall and 300/in rate. Will these work good for my setup?

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I can get a great deal on the 300# 12inch springs.. i would like to grab them. I'm not sure what clearance issues i may have.. tires are 245/45/17"

With a 10" spring, are you saying the lower spring perch will be above the top of the tire? I don't understand where clearance would be an issue.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,627 Posts
Mavrick said:
I can get a great deal on the 300# 12inch springs.. i would like to grab them.
Then is cost is an issue, buy them. With an 8" wheel and 245 tires you may be OK on clearance.
Mavrick said:
With a 10" spring, are you saying the lower spring perch will be above the top of the tire?
That's exactly what I mean.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok i understand. Thanks for your advice Glenn, we'll see how it goes!

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
The rim diameter doesn't mean as much as the combination of width and backspacing. With 8" stock-type wheels he should be okay no matter what spring length he chooses.

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
huesmann said:
The rim diameter doesn't mean as much as the combination of width and backspacing. With 8" stock-type wheels he should be okay no matter what spring length he chooses.
Ya you're right about that.
I wasn't thinking about the width and backspacing of my Cobra R's.
They are the C-58 and I have maybe 1/8 of clearance between the coilover and the tire.

·
Registered
5,617 Posts
I'm using the 03 Cobra Coupe struts with a 10" 325/in spring on my 2000 GT. I've been pretty happy with them on the track and with a date in the car. Much better than the 650lb/in conv spring I had in there before. Your car is lighter though, so it might ride rougher. You might also want to get spring helpers depending on the ride height you choose.
What F-LCA and Spindle are you using? This will affect your tire clearence.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Stock arms with urethane bushings, 95 spindles.

The guy with the struts bailed on me last minute, so i'm not sure what i'll be doing now..

Forced, I did get your PM. Replying..

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, i bit the bullet and decided to go with a brand new MM coil over kit for Bilsteins, with 350# 10" springs. I'll just have to save up for a new set of Bilsteins now, because the guy with the 03 Cobra struts bailed!

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
Mavrick said:
Well, i bit the bullet and decided to go with a brand new MM coil over kit for Bilsteins, with 350# 10" springs. I'll just have to save up for a new set of Bilsteins now, because the guy with the 03 Cobra struts bailed!
Good job Mav!

You won't be disappointed

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
Mavrick said:
I just did the same for the rears, looked at other kits but opted for the MM kit w/9" 275lb springs. Fortunately the race valved Bilsten shocks were half the cost of the front struts...so I was able to get those too.

When it comes time for the fronts like you I will be purchasing in stages, those race valved 'struts' aren't cheap for sure.

I think you made a great choice as well. I used to skimp on parts and sometime ended up paying more in the long run (same 'ole story), but when it comes to your suspension I think that's no place to skimp out with lesser quality parts. Let us know how it works out for you.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts