Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have been having a hard time while checking my plugs on this car. I cannot tell really where the timing line is. It looks more like a heat line. Below is a picture of a fresh plug with a 2nd,3rd nitrous pull then shutdown and check. Air fuels were 12.5ish the whole run. I'm running a 100 shot with 8* timing. 4k elevation and 101* temps on 95 octane. Car is a stock bottom 302 with holley heads, comp 270 cam, gt40 intake and full exhaust. Any suggestions or help would be appreciated!!

Attachments

·
Registered
7,019 Posts
what do you mean by 8* of timing? is your initial set to 8*? stock is roughly 10*, most guys will advance to around 16*.. rule of thumb for juice is to pull 2* per 50 hp shot. i guess what im saying is, i would find what my car likes on motor (16* for arguments sake) and pull 4* from there (12*). if all this is the case, you may be shorting yourself about 4* of advance.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
what do you mean by 8* of timing? is your initial set to 8*? stock is roughly 10*, most guys will advance to around 16*.. rule of thumb for juice is to pull 2* per 50 hp shot. i guess what im saying is, i would find what my car likes on motor (16* for arguments sake) and pull 4* from there (12*). if all this is the case, you may be shorting yourself about 4* of advance.
So the car was at 16* timing n/a and ran great that way. I just noticed some specs on the porcelain and was worried about the timing. I did 6 passes at the strip this weekend at 150 shot with 8* timing pulling the plugs after every run and no signs of detonation. My air fuels were rich at 11.5 though. I still couldn't get a defined line on the ground strap for timing

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
First off to read a plug you need to make the pass cut it off at the end of the track then read right then.

From what I see it looks like you can add some timing. On 95 oct I would think if your at 8deg now try 10 deg read plug if it still looks good try 12 deg. no higher.

I ran a 125 shot on 10 deg and 12 deg on 93 octane.

I have a tone of info on the subject in my build with dyno testing and all.

https://forums.corral.net/forums/member-build-up-projects/1580346-my-93-cobra-build-gt40-heads-3.html

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
First off to read a plug you need to make the pass cut it off at the end of the track then read right then.

From what I see it looks like you can add some timing. On 95 oct I would think if your at 8deg now try 10 deg read plug if it still looks good try 12 deg. no higher.

I ran a 125 shot on 10 deg and 12 deg on 93 octane.

I have a tone of info on the subject in my build with dyno testing and all.

https://forums.corral.net/forums/member-build-up-projects/1580346-my-93-cobra-build-gt40-heads-3.html
Thanks for the link, I was shutting it down right when I went through the traps coasted off the track and then checked.

·
Registered
7,019 Posts
personally, i would work on the rich condition before timing, unless your not planning any changes there. but those plugs dont look rich to me.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts