Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If the s/c impeller oil seal is leaking, would I still see the typical oil puddle in the TB if I take the S/C belt off?

Reason I ask is I get the typical tablespoon of oil puddle in the TB running the s/c, BUT not running the s/c (belt off, feed line still supplying oil) it's clean as whistle, period. I figured if the seal leaks, it should leak all the time it's getting oil belt on or off?

Running a catch can on the VCs and check valve on pcv... Weeping seal?

·
Indo-Canuck-Yankee
2,737 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
I now it's a different SC, but I just replaced a rear seal on the novi 2000, but I didn't run it without a belt so I can't say anything definite. But looking at the internals, the oil inlet squirts directly onto the impeller gear. This would force a fair bit of oil into the impeller bearings and subsequently the seal underneath.
Without it spinning, oil will just flow off the gears and into the drain, and not be forced into the bearings/seals like it would be spinning. Remember it's not a high pressure environment in there. I doubt you'd see as much of an oil leak without it spinning, if it was the rear seal that is.

This is my novi for eg

1 - 4 of 4 Posts