Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Chased down a new Z28 at Putnam Park in my 1991 Fox.

First time at this track so I even had the added weight of a friend of mine showing me the line.

Apparently he didn't like me back there. As soon as I got close enough to have a little fun with him he slammed on the brakes and waved me by....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5_kca3LrKQ

·
Super Moderator
27,652 Posts
That's a fun track. Looks like you were nailing the line pretty good. Also looks like the dude was either driving his mirrors near the end or getting distracted by an instructor or something.

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think he was driving in his mirrors too. He didn't have an instructor in there with him. I had a friend instructor in there with me so he could show me the "line". He's not a small guy either LOL

The Z28 guy said that he's been on this track a few times before. IDK..

Either way, I ran him down and would have got around him even if he wouldn't have waved me by. Felt pretty good to pass him in a car full of 80's technology LOL

It is a fun track! Seemed to be really hard on brakes. Hurt them here way more than I typically do at Mid-Ohio. I typically run Carbotech XP10 front XP 8 rear. When I go there in September I'm going to run the XP20 front XP10 rears

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
I think he was driving in his mirrors too. He didn't have an instructor in there with him. I had a friend instructor in there with me so he could show me the "line". He's not a small guy either LOL

The Z28 guy said that he's been on this track a few times before. IDK..

Either way, I ran him down and would have got around him even if he wouldn't have waved me by. Felt pretty good to pass him in a car full of 80's technology LOL

It is a fun track! Seemed to be really hard on brakes. Hurt them here way more than I typically do at Mid-Ohio. I typically run Carbotech XP10 front XP 8 rear. When I go there in September I'm going to run the XP20 front XP10 rears
Make that 1978 technology.

·
Registered
216 Posts
That track is awesome. Never been on it in a car, but have a lot of laps logged on a motorcycle. It has a lot of grip except the off-camber left hander (turn 4 I think) and fairly smooth. The long straight is very fast as well. Takes balls to get turn one right...

I always enjoy running down a faster/cheaper machine, but it can be annoying getting passed down a straight and then almost hitting them in the ass at the next braking zone.

Nice work!!

·
Registered
657 Posts
Oh yeah...one of my favorite tracks too! That long down hill straight will test your courage as you enter the turn, its amazing how much speed you can carry through there. Nice job on running down the Z.

I hope to back in action soon, taking motor to dyno Monday. Its been 3yrs since I've been on track....

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What's the engine combo Toys? There's another track day there in September, sure would be nice to have a few more Foxbody mustangs there. I was the ONLY one LOL.

What oil system are you running on the new setup? I know me and you were having some of the same oil situations years ago...

·
Registered
657 Posts
Oh not much...alum block 431 this time. >:) Its at the dyno now.

I went with an external wet sump this time and ditched the large mains by using an aftermarket block I found gently used.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I ditched the large mains with an aftermarket block too although mines an iron Dart block.

Still wet sump although I'm using the new Ford oil pan now which seems to control oil slop much better than the Canton pan.

Any chance you'll have it all ready to go by September and go to Putnam? I'd love to see that thing on track!

What kind of numbers are you expecting?

·
Registered
657 Posts
Not sure, I'd be happy if its 570-ish and tickled if it peaks 600.... Decided to do an engine dyno this time instead of chassis so we'll see. I think the 100-lbs off the nose is going to be biggest improvement.

Sept is a busy month so I'll have to see as we get closer. You ever get to Gingerman or Grattan? Or even autobahn?

Did you do the big bore option this time? Curious what it took to run with that new Z.

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I would absolutely love to take 100lbs off the nose of my car. That damn dart block is HEAVY!

I've never been to any of those tracks. Their just to far away from me. I stick to Mid-Ohio and this was my first time at Putnam.

No big bore... Just a 4.030 bore. I wanted to leave plenty of "meat" for future rebuilds.
It's only a 3.75 stroke too. 383 cu.in. I liked the idea of a little smaller stroke for road racing. It's pretty rev happy.

Made 486 to the rear wheels so it does make good power....

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It's with 10/10ths motorsports. Awesome group to go with. Tons and tons of track time. Great instructors for beginning drivers. Look up their website. 10 / 10ths Motorsports

I believe it's September 17&18. I will be there both days. I thinks it's $295 for one day and $465 for both.

I would love to see some more foxes out there. I hope you can make it! It would be nice to see some fellow corral members out there.

·
Registered
657 Posts
What heads, intake and is it EFI or Carb?
Vic Jr's I had on the 408W, we upped the valves to 2.08" and did a bit more port work for the 431W. Ported Vic Jr intake and a good carb. Went solid roller this time also. Goal was area under the curve and endurance.

·
Registered
657 Posts
I believe it's September 17&18. I will be there both days. I thinks it's $295 for one day and $465 for both.
Won't make that one, traveling that week. Should be something at Mid-O in the fall, 3-balls maybe?

Seems like a sea of S197's now, our cars are becoming vintage! Lots of fast Boss302's and with the GT350 its going to be tough to be in the fast group.

486 to the wheels from a 383 that's not too shabby! Solid roller?

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yes, Solid Roller with a custom road race cam. Nice flat torque curve from 4000R's all the way to 6800R's. Out of the box AFR 225's with Super Vic intake adapted to EFI.

Attachments

·
Registered
788 Posts
Nice Toys. You have been working on this one for a while. Did you do any plenum work to the Vic jr intake or just port match?

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
It's with 10/10ths motorsports. Awesome group to go with. Tons and tons of track time. Great instructors for beginning drivers. Look up their website. 10 / 10ths Motorsports

I would love to see some more foxes out there. I hope you can make it! It would be nice to see some fellow corral members out there.

Sounds fun and I am definitely in if I am home. Where you normally stay there?

1 - 20 of 44 Posts