Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright I'm dumbfounded.

I've been having "issues" with the charging system on my '95 GT. The symptoms are this: Upon cold startup my voltage is around 13.6-13.9V. As the car is driven (on the freeway for instance), the voltage slowly but steadily declines to around around 13.0V. Turning on accessories (A/C, etc..) makes it even worse (drops into the mid to high 12V range at cruise).

My first logical thought was the alternator and/or voltage regulator. Well, bought a new alternator and voltage regulator and it didn't fix the problem!!!!

Next thing I thought was maybe my MSD ignition is on the fritz (drawing too much power for some reason), so I disconnected it and ran with the stock ignition. No dice.

The car doesn't want to idle very well, and turning on the A/C at idle darn near kills the motor.

I believe the voltage at cruise should be around 14.0-14.5V. Obviously I'm way off from that.

It's a 130amp alternator (since the car is a '95), and there are no underdrive pullies on it.

Any ideas?? I'm completely at a loss.......

Thanks for any inputs.

--Scott

·
Registered
418 Posts
Installing a new (or certainly a rebuilt) alternator is not a sure thing that it's still not the alternator. I changed out my rebuilt three times (lifetime guarantee) until I got one that was charging properly. Get it checked at a local parts store. Most of them can do it while it's in the car and will do it for free.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts