Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently I had a battery die on me and traced it back to the 18 ga green wire on the alternator so I added a wire to go directly to the alternator to get the charge going. However although the alternator started charging the battery also started draining with the red cable attached. Anyone else have this problem with the fuseable links and how was it fixed ?
Also picture is the red cable that I attached disconnected

Attachments

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
Replace the fuselink. You can't tell when it's blown; the insulation stays intact, the wire is open inside.
But why did the fuselink blow?

·
Registered
4,970 Posts
The light green wire with a red stripe runs to the dash. It goes through the idiot light to the key run power source.

When that wire is zero, normal for key NOT on run position, the alternator will be turned off and no field current drawn.

When that wire has voltage, the alternator field is active. The alternator will draw current to start the field and activate charging. If the engine is not running it will drain the battery instead of charging it.

If you just wired that light green with red tracer lead from terminal I to a 12V continuous it will drain the battery when the engine is not running. It has to go to 12V run voltage from the key switch

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you just wired that light green with red tracer lead from terminal I to a 12V continuous it will drain the battery when the engine is not running. It has to go to 12V run voltage from the key switch[/QUOTE]

Oh okay so to correct the wiring I should wire it to the key switch?

·
Registered
23,216 Posts
If you just wired that light green with red tracer lead from terminal I to a 12V continuous it will drain the battery when the engine is not running. It has to go to 12V run voltage from the key switch
Oh okay so to correct the wiring I should wire it to the key switch?[/QUOTE]

did you not read, through the idiot light in the dash?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh okay so to correct the wiring I should wire it to the key switch?
did you not read, through the idiot light in the dash?[/QUOTE]

Didnt mean to sound stupid. Wiring isnt my strong suit and I'm still confused to what exactly I'm wiring to and how to wire it

·
Registered
23,216 Posts
Is it not depicted on your wiring diagram?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts